Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I like acetylene welding and brazing but it's an expensive way of doing it at home with the bottles!.
Yea I know,only got a arc.It does for what I want.its mostly diy stuff,made some drive gates etc.
Here my latest diy/lockdown project.Needs the chimney putting on.Smoke all over last night to the horror of my partner !

Attachments

• IMG_20200416_134645199.jpg
    IMG_20200416_134645199.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200416_134657376.jpg
    IMG_20200416_134657376.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Most of my training was arc and acetylene. I did a week or so on MIG with gas, also tried aluminium TIG welding, not good at that. Most of what I'll be doing is car body panels, so 0.9mm - 1.2mm thick steel. Not challenging at all.....

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got 2 Lemforder anti-roll bar drop links coming for MrsF's car. In anticipation of them being a bugger to remove (been on 7 years) I've also ordered a butane torch, so could even use it in cooking. If that's successful in helping ease the bolts, might try that on my back box bolts, and save myself a small fortune. I've got a good set of 1/2" drive sockets and a breaker bar.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm pretty good with the spanners, if I say so myself, but could never get the hang of welding. That's the one job i've left to blokes called Brian, who smoke liquorice paper roll ups.
Funny you mention that, I used to work with one of those Brians. Drove a Morris Traveller which always had a washing machine in the back.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've got 2 Lemforder anti-roll bar drop links coming for MrsF's car. In anticipation of them being a bugger to remove (been on 7 years)
My rule on droplinks is try once, if that fails then out comes the angry grinder.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am missing PDR, may have to knock a few dents in one of the cars just for fun.

D

Deleted member 26715

Finished work yesterday afternoon & didn't feel like the ride I was going to do, so decided I'd put off not building the VVC (Variable Valve Camshaft) cylinder head long enough, so out into the garage to have a go, spent ages trying to get it to put one end together only to find I was trying the wrong end :laugh::laugh::laugh: then had enough walked away & then came back to it this morning.

So you start with

Then you have to build it up to

Then you have to try to fit it onto this shaft & keeping the variable cogs in line

Then eventually when you have it built up it looks like

However then you have to do it all again at the other end, but this time keeping the timing fixed so that when it's put together both ends work together. Took about 6 hours in the end :laugh::laugh::laugh:

keithmac

Guru
Spent all afternoon under the Kuga looking for an oil leak.

Turns out it's coming from the coupler between gearbox and Power Transfer Unit (awd transfer box).

12 til 8 yesterday taking it to bits and same again today IF I can fix it.

Rhs driveshaft is an odd affair, goes through the hollow shaft of the PTU, through the hollow coupler and into the gearbox.

Sods law wife got called into work this morning as well..

20200419_130935.jpg

20200419_162013.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Well, brought all my fine pitch tools home to get to the top Transfer Case bolt an couldn't get in with any of them.

About to chuck the towel in I had a look through my random spanner drawer for inspiration. Baring in mind I've never used the bent spanners ever I found the perfect tool!.

Needless to say this is now my favourite drawer in the tool box!.

Cheapo 13mm spanner saves the day!.

Absolute ball ache working on this Mk2 Kuga Powershift, hands down the worst car I've ever bought..

20200421_191151.jpg

20200421_204445.jpg

20200421_195907.jpg

20200421_204500.jpg

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Fitted a set of OE Volvo roof rails to my XC90. Mine is the R Design, the supposedly 'sporty' version, so the rails were not fitted at the factory, presumably in order to maintain a sleek and racy look...as if a 2.25 tonne Swedish brick would ever look sleek and racy.

Anyhoo, I'd been watching them on eBay, 80 to 100 sheets, so I was on the verge of not bothering when I spotted a set for £30 including postage. Job done. They were weighty old things so by the time he'd paid the postage there couldn't have been much profit in it. I now have something to clamp my roof bars and bike rack too. A good clean and a wipe with clear wax and they look like new, were on in less than 20 minutes.

Top Bottom