Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Had a poke at the XC70 today as I noticed a tiny drip from the front end over the last few months under offside radiator area. I've been watching it for a while. So, bumper off and a few other bits. Looks like there's a small leak where the offside header is clamped/ bonded to the core. Rather than try pulling it out I got a bottle of K-Seal additive. Worth a punt. After reassembly a test run suggests leak is gone but only time will tell.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I got the man to do my diy today :smile:

The presale service invoice showed under £40 for oil, and as the engine was rather rattly it didn't take S Holmes esq to work out that the requisite 0w30 A5/B5 wasn't in there...

One trip to National Tyres later (actually a lot later by the time they got the oil in) and £55 lighter, incl filter, and all's much, much smoother. Remarkable value. Interestingly they source the oil from Russia's largest oil company, whose name escapes me.

D

Deleted member 26715

Think it's been mentioned before maybe on another thread/forum about the disparity of oil prices, why when the producers are having to pay companies to buy their crude oil is processed engine oil still so expensive, it used to be a cheap commodity, now it's just ridiculous.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In some US states they're actually paying customers to take the fuel away because that's cheaper than storing it. Canny rednecks by the thousand are ordering huge home storage tanks to stock up while the going is good. I suspect the climate will take a good kicking as a result!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Think it's been mentioned before maybe on another thread/forum about the disparity of oil prices, why when the producers are having to pay companies to buy their crude oil is processed engine oil still so expensive, it used to be a cheap commodity, now it's just ridiculous.
Ow30's quite (well, very) an expensive oil if it has a Castrol or Shell brand on, and is specced for Volvo. Same oil specced for Ford (exact same spec) who owned Volvo at the time my car was made = much cheaper.

Ruskioilski from former comrades, supplied and fitted, and disposed of etc, and the windscreen wash topped up, and the battery tested = as cheap as doing it myself.

No brainski :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
In some US states they're actually paying customers to take the fuel away because that's cheaper than storing it. Canny rednecks by the thousand are ordering huge home storage tanks to stock up while the going is good. I suspect the climate will take a good kicking as a result!
Sadly, Bubba Holmes, who stored his in his bath won't be doing that any more.

Still, as his mom said, saved on the cree-may-shun :smile:

D

Deleted member 26715

Ow30's quite (well, very) an expensive oil if it has a Castrol or Shell brand on, and is specced for Volvo. Same oil specced for Ford (exact same spec) who owned Volvo at the time my car was made = much cheaper.
I had the Citroen/Ford/Volvo diesel engined C30 that had to have the 'special' oil otherwise it would cause isse, but it still doesn't explain why the price of processed oil hasn't fallen in line with crude, unless I'm missing the obvious chemical link that processed doesn't come from crude.

D

Deleted member 26715

Some people should not be allowed near spanners what a bodge this is & the previous owner paid for this professional work. Brand new floor pans drilled & then brackets welded FFS

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Moved on to 'rust treating' the rear suspension on Mrs F's car. All looks very tidy and new now.

keithmac

Guru
Well the Kuga has been oil tight for 2 weeks now so I'm calling that fixed!.

Rotated wheels today, 3.5mm tread on fronts and 4.8 on backs so swapped them round (£150 a corner for new boots so not this year!).

Fitted a new coolant header tank cap and that has solved a minor coolant loss issue so things are looking up!.

keithmac

Guru
18 Inch Continental Sport Contact 5 SUV's on at the moment. The are a great tyre so will be getting the same.

Will be having a good shop around when the time comes!.

Top Bottom