Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I got all excited, I thought it was a 3.0S. I owned one back in the early ‘80’s

No danger of me affording one of those nowadays, silly money they are. 12 years ago I turned down a Mk1 3.0 GXL for £1300, should have just bought it and left in the garage, better return than most things.

rustyroger

One easy and one difficult and messy job for my Chrysler Fifth Avenue this weekend. The easy job was to replace a worn out bush on the wiper linkage, a ten minute job.
The other was to remove the transmission dipstick tube to replace the leaking seal. I had to get the car in the air and get under where it was oily and dripping. Getting the tube out was fairly simple, the tricky bit was getting it back without damaging the new seal, the messy part was cleaning all the oily gunk off everything.
However I only had to buy the bush and seal, not a complete assembly as is so often the case on modern cars.

Roger.

Oddity?

Daughters car had refused to start this AM, all it would do was unlock & click all its solenoids at me
Went out again, this evening, & it wouldn't even unlock, so we pushed it out of the garage, & jump-started it from my Octavia

Thus, I went for a trip in it, to try and charge it a bit
Up the M62, to Whitely Bridge

En-route, all the dials kept going to zero, staying there a while & coming back to correct readings
The 'smart(?) display' kept showing 'check air-bags', check tyre pressure system', 'check anti-theft'
The radio wouldn't come on at all

At the moment, I'm just presuming that the very low voltage upset a few systems, & that they will stabilise after a few 'reboots' (stop/start/lock/unlock cycles)

Is that a reasonable hypothesis?

Vauxhall Adam 1.4 petrol
(2014)

Last edited:
Oddity?

Daughters car had refused to start this AM, all it would do was unlock & click all its solenoids at me
Went out again, this evening, & it wouldn't even unlock, so we pushed it out of the garage, & jump-started it from my Octavia

Thus, I went for a trip in it, to try and charge it a bit
Up the M62, to Whitely Bridge

En-route, all the dials kept going to zero, staying there a while & coming back to correct readings
The 'smart(?) display' kept showing 'check air-bags', check tyre pressure system', 'check anti-theft'
The radio wouldn't come on at all

At the moment, I'm just presuming that the very low voltage upset a few systems, & that they will stabilise after a few 'reboots' (stop/start/lock/unlock cycles)

Is that a reasonable hypothesis?

Vauxhall Adam 1.4 petrol
(2014)

Started fine, 'first twist' a while ago
Repeated last nights route (M62 far quieter, once east of A1)
All dials okay, no 'warning messages' on display
Radio worked fine too

So, it did need a 'reboot'?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been making some changes to my new (to me) Passat estate over the past few months. The car is a replacement for the one that VW kindly ruined whilst undertaking some warranty repairs and since this particular model is fairly hard to come by I accepted a model without some of the toys I would have ideally wanted. Fortunately VW group cars are relatively easy to muck about with and there's plenty of info online regarding retrofitting of components and systems :ohmy:

First to be fitted was a reversing camera, which pops it's little head out from under the VW badge when you put it in reverse :laugh: Pretty nifty :okay:

This is an OEM camera but VW aren't kind enough to put cables in unless the items are specced so I had to run the new loom from the boot lid to the glovebox and connect it all up to the CAN data bus, then code the new camera module in to both the park assist module and the infotainment module ...

Spurred on by my success, I bought the latest and greatest infotainment module and screen, as well as a virtual cockpit speedo unit, both second hand on ebay...

These were a bit more of a pig to fit, with some of the coding being out of my depth. I fitted the stereo but had the speedo coded for me as its linked to the immobiliser - it needs to be coded online whilst connected to VW servers with expensive software I don't own :laugh: Once the keys were coded I finished it off at home and got it all up and running together...

Pleased with that!

Next jobs is retrofitting the front camera unit, which will enable lane assist and various other features :okay: Needs a new windscreen so saving my pennies at the moment. but I have the camera module and loom ready to go, so I'll probably run the cables in the near future and poke it all out of the way until I've got the new screen fitted then make the final connections and coding.

I've also just received the latest park assist module and sensors which will mean the car parks itself, as well as the side assist radar modules which warn when there's something in the blind spot and make the car actively counter steer if you try and side swipe something :laugh:

I would like to retrofit the electric tailgate at some point too but it's expensive, so I'll wait and see what turns up in the local scrap yard :smile:

It's also lowered slightly and remapped :laugh: 4 wheel drive, 295bhp and 430ft lbf but still averages 50mpg and is super comfy on long journeys, all rather silly really :smile:

Gunk

Guru
:notworthy:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
@JhnBssll that's quite a lot of playing with CANBUS. My T5.1 I have gone as far as the reversing camera and new head unit, neither required code changing. Oddly enough fitting the towbar did, so I had Westfalia do that for me. I gather lots of little features are simply turned off within the system depending on vehicle spec, I know some VW van boys who have activated things like dial sweep, window behaviour etc.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Its all good fun tinkering with the code, but not without its dangers... when I first plugged in the new speedo cluster (a day after everything locked down and the garages closed) it deleted the long code from the ABS module :ohmy::laugh: Of course I hadn't backed it up, and its unique to every vehicle as some of the code is calculated from the VIN, so I had to spend about 10 hours rewriting a 30 byte hexadecimal code piecing info together from various forums to clear the 52 error codes i had cleverly created :shy: I got it driveable again and had the original code reinstated when the speedo was online coded. Amazingly I'd only got 9 bits of the 30 byte code wrong, pretty happy with that :laugh:

My first car was a '78 Triump Spitfire 1500 which I rebuilt various parts of including the suspension and gearbox. I then moved on to a '96 Honda Prelude VTEC which I slowly transformed in to a track car which I ran for about 12 years before finally selling on about 3 years ago. I rebuilt the whole thing several times over but it was beginning to get claimed by the rust gods :sad:

Wife has a Golf R so if i fancy a spin in something quick I take that out now :laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have just one thing to say @JhnBssll ...fooookinhellllll :laugh:

Sounds like your preparing the car for a Pluto trip :laugh:

That will require the life support system retrofit, as well as the optional rocket motors. I believe they're prohibitively expensive :tongue::laugh:

It's all good fun though and I'm learning as I go - as with most things I do, it's more about the journey than the destination. For example I don't use the reversing camera, I'm much happier using the mirrors :laugh:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've been making some changes to my new (to me) Passat estate over the past few months. The car is a replacement for the one that VW kindly ruined whilst undertaking some warranty repairs and since this particular model is fairly hard to come by I accepted a model without some of the toys I would have ideally wanted. Fortunately VW group cars are relatively easy to muck about with and there's plenty of info online regarding retrofitting of components and systems :ohmy:

First to be fitted was a reversing camera, which pops it's little head out from under the VW badge when you put it in reverse :laugh: Pretty nifty :okay:

View attachment 523925

This is an OEM camera but VW aren't kind enough to put cables in unless the items are specced so I had to run the new loom from the boot lid to the glovebox and connect it all up to the CAN data bus, then code the new camera module in to both the park assist module and the infotainment module ...

View attachment 523924

Spurred on by my success, I bought the latest and greatest infotainment module and screen, as well as a virtual cockpit speedo unit, both second hand on ebay...

View attachment 523923

These were a bit more of a pig to fit, with some of the coding being out of my depth. I fitted the stereo but had the speedo coded for me as its linked to the immobiliser - it needs to be coded online whilst connected to VW servers with expensive software I don't own :laugh: Once the keys were coded I finished it off at home and got it all up and running together...

View attachment 523922

Pleased with that!

Next jobs is retrofitting the front camera unit, which will enable lane assist and various other features :okay: Needs a new windscreen so saving my pennies at the moment. but I have the camera module and loom ready to go, so I'll probably run the cables in the near future and poke it all out of the way until I've got the new screen fitted then make the final connections and coding.

View attachment 523927

I've also just received the latest park assist module and sensors which will mean the car parks itself, as well as the side assist radar modules which warn when there's something in the blind spot and make the car actively counter steer if you try and side swipe something :laugh:

I would like to retrofit the electric tailgate at some point too but it's expensive, so I'll wait and see what turns up in the local scrap yard :smile:

It's also lowered slightly and remapped :laugh: 4 wheel drive, 295bhp and 430ft lbf but still averages 50mpg and is super comfy on long journeys, all rather silly really :smile:

View attachment 523931
That looks really smart. What do the orange markers in Pic2 tell you? Or is that a reflection?

Top Bottom