Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Timing belt and aux belts fitted to the XC70. Don't know why I bothered. All the old parts in the timing kit looked like they were fitted last year and not in early '09. Anyway, a bit of a faff but it's done.

Issue with ac though so it's still on axle stands. AC man is coming on Monday. The clutch on the compressor is dying and dragging the pulley, overheating and this cause the stretch belt to fail. And an awkward SOB it is to replace. Hope there's no leak either :sad: but I suspect the condenser might be leaking and that's one PITA job I could do without, apart from the expense.

Ah well, seeing as I made redundant last Tues I've a bit of spare time till I get something else. :wacko:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thanks, every job like that one is a challenge but very satisfying at the same time, certainly saves the customers a lot of money as well. I did not time it but I am guessing at an hours work. I seldom take before and after photo's and people keep telling me that I should.
Well, if anyone ever dents my volvo I'll be giving you a call. Just as soon as I've finished disposing of their corpse.

keithmac

Guru
You need to try one Mr Keith. More comfortable than you humanly thought possible, they shrug bad weather contemptuously aside, and you quickly start to dig the whole languid, laid back nature of the car.

I'm going to get this year out of the way then start looking properly, will be an XC60 or an XC90.

The XC90 looks great for towing and plenty of space for family.

Could keep the Kuga for my wifes work and shopping car, if so the 90 makes more sense..

Seems 100,000 miles is small fry for either by the look of it.

Think my 550bhp GTO is going to find a new home, just a garden ornament at the moment..

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
That's what I had, from Feb 87 I think.

I got a 1.6 instead of a 2.8 as I was using it as an everyday car and then six months later got offered a job with a company car, I wasn't happy.
It's not the original engine, so I have no real reason not to play. The current 1600 Pinto has a big valve head and 2ltr cam, so more or less the 'GT' lump plus a little. I have a 2 ltr pinto in the garage awaiting a rebuild, so another option. That said, I love the sound of a V8, so who knows. Once I sort the bodywork I can make an engine decision.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My car DIY today, getting the wing off. All done, wing is un-damaged aside from the rust and holes from drilling out the spot welds. Not as bad as it could be...

Now to set about stripping all the underseal off. Not looking forward to that.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
That doesn't work. Children are too blunt to use as scrapers.
And both of mine are too bright to fall for it anyway. I think a good few hours in the sunshine with a mixture of heat, wire wheels, petrol and scrapped knuckles will do it...

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Timing belt and aux belts fitted to the XC70. Don't know why I bothered. All the old parts in the timing kit looked like they were fitted last year and not in early '09. Anyway, a bit of a faff but it's done.

Issue with ac though so it's still on axle stands. AC man is coming on Monday. The clutch on the compressor is dying and dragging the pulley, overheating and this cause the stretch belt to fail. And an awkward SOB it is to replace. Hope there's no leak either :sad: but I suspect the condenser might be leaking and that's one PITA job I could do without, apart from the expense.

Ah well, seeing as I made redundant last Tues I've a bit of spare time till I get something else. :wacko:
Boll**ks. Compressor and condenser both leaking. Just as well I'm diying or it would be a very expensive bill. Anyway, radiator sandwich dropped this morning, surprisingly easily, and a lot handier than I expected. Now sourcing some parts. 😬

Late edit: compressor and condenser ordered. Hopefully delivered Wednesday or Thursday latest.

Last edited:
Re; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/car-d-i-y.258173/post-5979217

I had a go at it this evening
First step was to remove the interior panel from the tail-gate & plug in the new motor - to check whether it was motor, or wiring
I did remember to close the tail-gate, so it worked

Yes, it was the motor
So next step, cut the spindle on the present motor
(used junior hacksaw, not the Dremel)

526849 526853

Out with the new motor:okay:

Fitted through the hole perfectly
One mounting bolt in.... excellent
Bolts 2 & 3...…….. nowhere near correctly placed, or the correct 'drop':cursing::cursing::cursing:

So, back on with the old motor, to prevent a hole in the glass :rolleyes:

On the bright side....
I managed to 'drift' the remains of the spindle out of the wiper arm, with the vice for support & a suitably sized bolt as the drift

(the new one I'd got was a bit short, & had no corresponding splines:wacko: )
I had phoned DM Keith, this AM, & was quoted £37- something (inc VAT) for a new arm...… wiper blade not included!!!!!

Tomorrow, I'll have to phone DM Keith again, for the price of a OEM motor (so I know it'll fit)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Boll**ks. Compressor and condenser both leaking. Just as well I'm diying or it would be a very expensive bill. Anyway, radiator sandwich dropped this morning, surprisingly easily, and a lot handier than I expected. Now sourcing some parts. 😬

Late edit: compressor and condenser ordered. Hopefully delivered Wednesday or Thursday latest.

Thats the only things that cost me dear on my car and a catalytic converter. Condenser radiator holed and a pipe cracked at a different point. All 3 jobs around £400 each. Thats been it though on an 18 year old car other than maintenance parts.

Top Bottom