Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Re; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/car-d-i-y.258173/post-5979217

I had a go at it this evening
First step was to remove the interior panel from the tail-gate & plug in the new motor - to check whether it was motor, or wiring
I did remember to close the tail-gate, so it worked
View attachment 526851

Yes, it was the motor
So next step, cut the spindle on the present motor
(used junior hacksaw, not the Dremel)

View attachment 526849 View attachment 526853

Out with the new motor:okay:

View attachment 526850

Fitted through the hole perfectly
One mounting bolt in.... excellent
Bolts 2 & 3...…….. nowhere near correctly placed, or the correct 'drop':cursing::cursing::cursing:

So, back on with the old motor, to prevent a hole in the glass :rolleyes:

On the bright side....
I managed to 'drift' the remains of the spindle out of the wiper arm, with the vice for support & a suitably sized bolt as the drift
View attachment 526854

(the new one I'd got was a bit short, & had no corresponding splines:wacko: )
I had phoned DM Keith, this AM, & was quoted £37- something (inc VAT) for a new arm...… wiper blade not included!!!!!

Tomorrow, I'll have to phone DM Keith again, for the price of a OEM motor (so I know it'll fit)

Just checked Euro Car Parts, as a thought & ordered one for collection from Wakefield branch on Wednesday AM
I'll take the relevant sockets with me, & change it in the car-park, so I can take it straight back in if it's not correct
It should be, as I've reserved using the registration number to confirm vehicle, & a OEM part?? (Valeo)

IF it's still not right, ECP is less than a mile from the Wakefield branch of DM Keith, & I will bite the bullet to order from them:laugh:

Carrying On, From Previous Posting

We were outside by 09:45, & I did change it in the car-park, the spindle's slightly shorter, so had to utilise daughter to push on the motor as I tightened the arm into place
She sat in the load-space, with the tail-gate closed (1) as I did it
I may have to put a couple of washers in as spacers on one of the (3) mounts, as it's not quite right

On arrival home, with a swept rear-window:okay:
I had quite forgotten though, after so long without it working, & wondered what the heck was happening, as it's got 'auto-sweep' when reverse is engaged & front wipers are on:blush:

1. Yes, I did let her out after it was in place
Plus bribery works, as I'd told her yesterday if she came with me, as much for her to have a ride-out (& to get up early!!!), I'd take her to the new Starbucks afterwards (on Doncaster Road)

EDIT @ 14:50
I never noticed in Euro Car Parts, but did once I go home and went to add the (A4) printed receipt to the Octavias history file, that they didn't charge me for something else I bought there
I rang up, & explained, gave the approximate time I was there. & the amount I spent
I offered to drive back over & pay for the uncharged item
"Our mistake" was the reply "Have it on us" :eek:

'It' was a 600ml can of WD40 (roughly £6 at Halfords)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

Set off in the GTM for it's MOT & what could be it's first MOT, it wasn't on the database which goes back to 2006. Got about a mile out of the village & the engine cut out & coasted to a halt, all the lights, horn, wiper worked, just nothing on the key. Rang the MOT station & then rang for a tow, couldn't think anything obvious but then tried the key again & away it went. Decided to continue onto the MOT & apart from 4 tyres as advisory it passed. However on the way back I put 15L of petrol in then could start to smell petrol, on examination there is a small leak on a seam, not noticeable when there is very little fuel in, I did wonder why it came with a spare tank.

Gunk

Guru
Carrying On, From Previous Posting

We were outside by 09:45, & I did change it in the car-park, the spindle's slightly shorter, so had to utilise daughter to push on the motor as I tightened the arm into place
She sat in the load-space, with the tail-gate closed (1) as I did it
I may have to put a couple of washers in as spacers on one of the (3) mounts, as it's not quite right

On arrival home, with a swept rear-window:okay:
I had quite forgotten though, after so long without it working, & wondered what the heck was happening, as it's got 'auto-sweep' when reverse is engaged & front wipers are on:blush:
View attachment 527225

1. Yes, I did let her out after it was in place
Plus bribery works, as I'd told her yesterday if she came with me, as much for her to have a ride-out (& to get up early!!!), I'd take her to the new Starbucks afterwards (on Doncaster Road)

EDIT @ 14:50
I never noticed in Euro Car Parts, but did once I go home and went to add the (A4) printed receipt to the Octavias history file, that they didn't charge me for something else I bought there
I rang up, & explained, gave the approximate time I was there. & the amount I spent
I offered to drive back over & pay for the uncharged item
"Our mistake" was the reply "Have it on us" :eek:

'It' was a 600ml can of WD40 (roughly £6 at Halfords)

that’s a lot of stickers, I’m surprised you can see out of the back window!

that’s a lot of stickers, I’m surprised you can see out of the back window!
Well, the top-right duo are West Yorkshire Police issued, basically asking them to stop it, if the driver looks young (or the vehicle is out/about at odd times)

The British Cycling should be self-explanatory, as should be the 'Yorkshire' decal

The 'Squires' is for.......... https://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/
(a regular stop for a brew, if I was out that way)

:okay::okay:

Last edited:

Tom B

Guru
I’m not a sticker person, first thing I do with a new car is take the dealer sticker out of the rear window.

I have been known to insist they do it and insist the refit the number plates without the 20mm high dealer name text.

Now I'm older I just take it out and put insulation tape over the dealer name on the number plates. Taken it in for a recall twice now and on both occasions the added a sticker and peeled off the tape. Cheeky buggers. But they did valet it and wash it all for free.

Sticker was returned and stuck on the desk as I advised them they'd forgotten it and left it in the car.

Those yellow and black Arnold Clark stickers just look horrid.

To bring it back on subject I e just ordered a pair of rear anti roll links for my focus. They e been rattling for about 3 years /12,000 now.

I've also put some rust killer on a few rust spots on it.

Next job it to wrap and tie up some pipes under the turbo that I noticed had been chafing before they go through and the coolant falls out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

On the MOT for the GTM last week he said that the handbrake was a bit high not advised though so this evening stripped off both rear callipers pushed both pistons back, pushed them out & back in again. Unglazed the pads with the angry grinder, put it all back together & adjusted handbrake.

D

Deleted member 26715

Spent Saturday & Sunday between the torrential storms chasing down the intermittent fault, at first I thought it was a live near the ECU, then the lives coming off the starter motor but in the end I hope it was just a loose connection of the big connector into the ECU so put a big tiewrap around it. Since then although very little mileage it's not cut out again, but without a definite fault I'm still waiting for it to bite me in the arse.

Next job is the dropping drivers door, you need to be a contorsoinist to get to the 6 nuts holding the door on, hand through the dash, of course there one that you couldn't get a full spanner on because of the fibreglass, so 12th of a turn, turn spanner over, 12th turn, turn spanner over, repeat, eventually managed to get a 6th turn, but it did come off.

Once off stripped down the door card to get to the other 6 bolts bit easier & spun them off with the gun & a spanner, once off it was evident what was wrong, the top hinge had virtually seized & I could not open & close it by hand, but after some working & some Plus gas it freed up.

IMG-20200609-192419.jpg

But the problem is more with the bottom one, it has seized up in the past & then it's broken the welds that hold the pin

IMG-20200609-192442.jpg

IMG-20200609-192452.jpg

With very little effort the thing came apart I now have to try to get the pin out, I tried a punch, then putting one end into a socket & then into a vice

IMG-20200609-193341.jpg

IMG-20200609-193351.jpg

I looked for my blow torch but no gas, so will have to wait until tomorrow & see if getting it hot will persuade it to part. Failing that I may have to drill it out but getting it square in the vice to drill is aways a problem without proper workshop facilities.

After passing it's MOT last Friday the Cee'd blew a DRL bulb on Monday :cursing:

I don't have any ramps or such like, so rolled the front wheel up on a couple of bricks, removed the under shield, managed to reach the bulb holder and turn it, but couldn't get the fecker out for love nor money. I couldn't even see what was stopping it TBH. I wouldn't mind but it's only a P21/5w 380 bulb as well :wacko:

Admitted defeat and ran it to the garage yesterday. The guy was just about to have his dinner, (that's lunch for you southern softies :laugh:), but he ran the car in, straight up on a ramp, changed the bulb all in under 10 mins.

He ran the car out and wouldn't take a bean off me. No matter how much I insisted :dance:

I'd never used the garage until the MOT last week, and TBH it is well regarded locally which swung my decision, and needless to say that they now have a new customer on their books :okay:

So thank you to them for going above and beyond, exemplary customer service and reputation building at it's finest :cheers:

Top Bottom