Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New discs and pads fitted, calipers painted.

View attachment 539597

Bloody hard work. The job was easy enough, but it's like working on a lorry - everything weighs three times as much and is done twice as tight.

Looks neat. Pulled the wheel's off MrsF's car and painted the calipers and suspension component's with aqua steel. Turned any bear metal black and just coats the painted stuff clear.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, 19 inch wheels with 255 section tyres - they weight a flipping ton! The mighty 336mm discs outweigh the typical manhole cover. No wonder no one has died while travelling in an xc90 - anything in their way such as orphans, nuns, Bradley Fighting vehicles, etc, just get swatted casually aside in an avalanche of steel and cast iron!

Volvo pads with Lockheed-Delphi almunised discs so they won't corrode so quickly. The old discs weren't that worn but the edges were starting to look like a puff pastry. Calipers were wire brushed, Rust-Killed and black smooth Hammerite was applied. My back is killing me from the herculean effort involved - no wonder Volvo dealers charge so much! Next week will be a service, but I need to let my back recover first.

Those wheels look heavy, I miss the days of having studs instead of bolts when refitting a wheel, mind you if you have one the removable aligning stud is useful. I had mine off on the Skoda last week due to it needing a new backing plate.
Range Rovers had an tapered alignment tool, for a few years in the last years of the 'classic' (or Series 1, as I term it)

Aye, 19 inch wheels with 255 section tyres - they weight a flipping ton! The mighty 336mm discs outweigh the typical manhole cover. No wonder no one has died while travelling in an xc90 - anything in their way such as orphans, nuns, Bradley Fighting vehicles, etc, just get swatted casually aside in an avalanche of steel and cast iron!

My back is killing me from the herculean effort involved - no wonder Volvo dealers charge so much! Next week will be a service, but I need to let my back recover first.
It used to be heavy work with the 110's
Initially 7.50 x 16 (a crossply sizing, but applied to a radial tyre...), but I changed to 235/85 x 16
Getting one off the bonnet took some doing!!
(till it went inside, when I had the white Hard-Top

Seen here, on Pendine Sands - when you could drive on there)

These tyres were fun to change (9.00 x 16, & a 6-stud rim)
A friend had one - not this one
Great fun to drive, but 'bar-grips' are scary on a wet-road)

My last Landie had the rear-door mount
I was going to fit a swing-away, but on taking the trim panel off, it had a lot of strengthening added by previous owner
Oh! & I altered the lighting, to something more visible than a poor quality candle:okay:

Top = tail/brake
Lower = tail/2 x fog

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Range Rovers had an tapered alignment tool, for a few years in the last years of the 'classic' (or Series 1, as I term it)

It used to be heavy work with the 110's
Initially 7.50 x 16 (a crossply sizing, but applied to a radial tyre...), but I changed to 235/85 x 16
Getting one off the bonnet took some doing!!
(till it went inside, when I had the white Hard-Top

Seen here, on Pendine Sands - when you could drive on there)

View attachment 540043

These tyres were fun to change (9.00 x 16, & a 6-stud rim)
A friend had one - not this one
Great fun to drive, but 'bar-grips' are scary on a wet-road)
View attachment 540044

My last Landie had the rear-door mount
I was going to fit a swing-away, but on taking the trim panel off, it had a lot of strengthening added by previous owner
Oh! & I altered the lighting, to something more visible than a poor quality candle:okay:

Top = tail/brake
Lower = tail/2 x fog
View attachment 540045
Not only is everything heavy on a proper Landie, the chances are its corroded into position as well!

Not only is everything heavy on a proper Landie, the chances are its corroded into position as well!

So true, and anyone who says they don't rust/corrode, never owned one!!😊

The first Range Rover I owned was I think a P Reg, rack and pinion steering if I remember correctly, a friend of mine had a nice business making tailgates for them to replace the very rusty one's.
Sorry, it'd have been a steering box & 'drag-links'

Like this, with the bow changing the direction of input-to-output

dsc06092_orig.jpg

Yes, tailgates were an issue, with rot

screenman

Legendary Member
Cleaned the XC90 within an inch if its life today. Still had some energy left so I ceramic coated the paint. By christ, that's a workout!

You did not waste your time, I can often tell when doing a dent if it has a coating or not as I have to concentrate harder using the knock down on a slippery surface. Now when you wash it before you dry it use a very cheap aerosol polish, Poundland style a very few squirts here and there when the car is damp makes it leather off far easier and leaves a just waxed feel to it. Do not give that tip away as only the clever guys know it.

Top Bottom