Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Sorry I meant like a autoglym wax ?

The wax is good, but it is certainly not as tough as a ceramic coating, or any other paint sealant, completely different type of thing. Coat it then wax it for maximum protection, not the other way around, I dewax my car before applying a sealant.

kennycl

Regular
I've attached a tow bar for the bike rack! It was an effort, half the back of the car had to come off. A couple of holes that should have been threaded needed re-taping. O finished wondering if it had been worth paying someone £300 to do it! :rolleyes:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good luck. I'm not looking forward to doing a full cat back change on the Volvo 240, that's been on there for 27 years...

Strictly speaking, it shouldn't be too bad a job - enough room to get it in with the car jacked up on one side, but it's the nuts. If I can't then it will be local garage - they might moan I've got the back box, but it's been a bit of a faff getting the right one for a decent price - £80. The mid section is in good condition, so don't want to replace that, but you know what exhaust places are like.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Had a quick skim through the, frankly embarrassing and rank amateur work on display here, and realised you need the example of a pro to follow, so I modestly put forward a small example of my own craftsmanship:

Some compete numpty (:whistle:), reversing too fast in a narrow lane to let a farmer through, took the casing off the wing mirror on clipping a tree branch.

It's hard to spot it's been repaired at all such is the quality, but please note:

1. Finest materials used - B&M own brand duct tape carefully chosen.
2. Close colour matching for the right aesthetic
3. Wildlife conservation a must - arachnid habitat provided
4. Attention to detail - missing end part and slight chip to glass ignored entirely

8 months on, still in full operational order and bringing just as many admiring glances as it did before restoration.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I await my parts, full cat back exhaust and I figured at the same time I'd replace the NSF lower suspension arm and bushings that has been rattling around for a bit. I'd sooner do them now than in January if they make it fail the MOT.

gbb

Legendary Member
Had a quick skim through the, frankly embarrassing and rank amateur work on display here, and realised you need the example of a pro to follow, so I modestly put forward a small example of my own craftsmanship:

Some compete numpty (:whistle:), reversing too fast in a narrow lane to let a farmer through, took the casing off the wing mirror on clipping a tree branch.

It's hard to spot it's been repaired at all such is the quality, but please note:

1. Finest materials used - B&M own brand duct tape carefully chosen.
2. Close colour matching for the right aesthetic
3. Wildlife conservation a must - arachnid habitat provided
4. Attention to detail - missing end part and slight chip to glass ignored entirely

8 months on, still in full operational order and bringing just as many admiring glances as it did before restoration. View attachment 542252
Top trumped by me doing the same 'ish to a Bentley Continental. :sad:
Former MD, someone clipped his in the car park , he asked me to temporarily secure the flapping bits till he got it to the garage. I obliged in a similar fashion, a little embarrassed given the car.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Finally armed the correct tools I serviced my XC90 today.

All went well, except while checking the oil level afterwards I managed to break the dipstick. This necessitated removing the dipstick tube to extract the remains, which was fortunately straight forward.

New dipstick on the way! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

Finally armed the correct tools I serviced my XC90 today.

All went well, except while checking the oil level afterwards I managed to break the dipstick. This necessitated removing the dipstick tube to extract the remains, which was fortunately straight forward.

New dipstick on the way! :laugh:
Resist resist, you must resist!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'd poke fun @Drago but we've all done something similar no doubt...

2 packages have arrived for me, so the Ovlov will be getting some love when I get some time off work. Exhaust is rotted through in at least 3 places on both middle and rear boxes, plus all the joining pipes. SWMBO is not impressed, so hopefully before long we will return to the wafting silence which is far more appropriate for a girl of her age (the car, not SWMBO...)

D

Deleted member 26715

Well since the RH arrived I haven't been able to get it to run right, timing was miles off, but it was still overfueling massively, plugs were sooting up, so today back to complete basics. Rocker cover off to check no stuck valves & the tappet gaps, happy to report all good on that front, interesting to have to remember from over 40 years ago the last time I did the valves on a Pinto. Had to buy a new set of feeler gauges AND then had to take the angry grinder to them

Next I went over the timing again, then took the top off the brand new Weber to make sure the float wasn't sticking, lost the smallest R clip they could use, found it, then needed 4 hands to get it back, asked wife to come help, she tried & promptly lost the R clip luckily found it for the 2nd time. She then managed to load up the clip into the pliers, I managed to hold the shaft & washer in place, she then handed me the pliers & got the R clip back it, it was worse than open heart surgery. But still got banging & popping back through the carb, in desperation I said to her, I'll go get a new set of plugs, it won't be that but have to try something different, put new plugs in, fires up & runs loverly ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!

Carb still needs a little tweaking, it's booked in for a rolling road on Friday so still may take it for the sake of £60, then I know it's all good.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Gotta love a pinto. The 1600 in the Capri has been tickled a little, big valves (bigger than the GT head) and a funky cam. Goes well, but I have a 2 ltr Pinto on the engine stand which is slowly getting stripped and rebuilt. With a suitable cam and tubular exhaust maybe 110 bhp, that will do in the Capri. Until I find the right V8 and gearbox....

D

Deleted member 26715

Gotta love a pinto. The 1600 in the Capri has been tickled a little, big valves (bigger than the GT head) and a funky cam. Goes well, but I have a 2 ltr Pinto on the engine stand which is slowly getting stripped and rebuilt. With a suitable cam and tubular exhaust maybe 110 bhp, that will do in the Capri. Until I find the right V8 and gearbox....
Maybe I'm getting old, but these old carb engines with adjustable valves are not for me anymore, if I decide to keep the car then I think I'll be looking for a Zetec to replace it with, 1.6L with 120bhp starts on the button no maintenance apart from oil, better economy.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Maybe I'm getting old, but these old carb engines with adjustable valves are not for me anymore, if I decide to keep the car then I think I'll be looking for a Zetec to replace it with, 1.6L with 120bhp starts on the button no maintenance apart from oil, better economy.

Lots of the Capri owners do exactly that, for the same reasons. At the moment I enjoy the tinkering, and my only inclination for engines is V8 stuff, so maybe, just maybe I'll find a Windsor for sensible money in the future.

Top Bottom