Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Best time to replace an exhaust system on your Volvo 240? That's right, after a 12 hour night shift:rolleyes:
Full cat back, old one off with help from jigsaw and a club hammer. New one just dropped into place. Just under 3 hours start to finish, and the Volvo is quiet for once.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Best time to replace an exhaust system on your Volvo 240? That's right, after a 12 hour night shift:rolleyes:
Full cat back, old one off with help from jigsaw and a club hammer. New one just dropped into place. Just under 3 hours start to finish, and the Volvo is quiet for once.

My back box has arrived, can you pop round next week to fit it ?

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Today, engine mounts. Well 1 of them, before rain stopped play. I was wondering why the mighty red block was moving so much, I suppose the mount being broken in half doesn't help matters. One down, one to go.

D

Deleted member 26715

After getting the Pinto running to a point where it ran, I took it to an expert, he checked compression, 180,175,190,185 then stripped & cleaned the carb, reset the timing again then generally played with the mixture & timing on the rollers, it made an extrapolated 107bhp at the crank which isn't bad for an old Pinto that came out of the factory with only 97bhp even though it's supposed to be standard.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
At last, the engine in the Volvo is now secured with 2 decent mounts. The drivers side one I did this morning, whilst still in 1 piece, was very deformed. Getting the new one in needed 2 jacks and a few choice words to get things lined up. The sump no longer rests on the crossmember, happy days.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Headlamps refitted, service message reset, all lights etc checked ready for Wednesday's MOT.

tyred

Legendary Member
Had the Peugeot in for test this afternoon. The new Cat certainly fixed the emission readings, CO and HC now less than half of what is allowed for year of manufacture.

My main concern was the slightly crusty nature of some it's nether regions but that wasn't even mentioned. Just one failure - there was a broken front coil spring. I'm irritated that I hadn't spotted this but am surprised it didn't rattle or affect how the car drove.

I did have spare front struts in my bit box so I have now fitted them this evening. I was going to swap the springs over to my shocks as I know them to be in perfect condition but I discovered something rather alarming that the tester obviously missed - the spring pans are worn/rusted through where the spring sits on them. It probably wouldn't have been very long until I had self lowering suspension. I saw that happen to an Audi 80 once.

Being a glutton for punishment I did swap the strut top mountings as I had replaced them about two years ago and the steering bearings on the replacement struts felt a bit gritty. Peugeot in their infinite wisdom made their top strut mountings to have about 3,000 individual parts which separate out and need re-assembled in precisely the correct order. Then the three studs which locate the struts to the suspension tower are asymmetrical so need to be offered up in one position only. If you study how it all goes together Peugeot seem to have set this up with offset strut positions, presumably to alter suspension geometry in a way that needs a much better engineer than me to understand but I have a suspicion the front suspension on Peugeot's baby had more sophistication built in than appears at first glance.

When I had the struts out it seemed prudent to wire brush the underside of the strut towers and give it a fresh coat of underseal. It is so much fun getting a face full of dirt, rust and flakes of old paint and it is at such times that even the most ardent classic car fan considers signing the lease agreement on a new Dacia :cursing:

While I was underneath I decided to change the oil as it was slightly overdue.

Now all I have to do is to book a re-test. Sadly they will be back-dating the test cert to March which I feel is a bit unfair as it wasn't my fault that I couldn't do my original re-test for several months as the test centres were closed due to Coronavirus and I had to have a full test done again anyway:evil:

D

Deleted member 26715

Now all I have to do is to book a re-test. Sadly they will be back-dating the test cert to March which I feel is a bit unfair as it wasn't my fault that I couldn't do my original re-test for several months as the test centres were closed due to Coronavirus and I had to have a full test done again anyway:evil:
That doesn't make sense, the car is effectively out of test, so when it passes it's from the date it passes surely, the RH I have on the drive ran out of MOT in 2106, when I take it next week, they're not going to back date it till then?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
That doesn't make sense, the car is effectively out of test, so when it passes it's from the date it passes surely, the RH I have on the drive ran out of MOT in 2106, when I take it next week, they're not going to back date it till then?

I suspect the difference is that the OP's "re-test" doesn't have to be paid for again, whereas a new test from scratch will cost.

tyred

Legendary Member

The way it works is that the first test is due on the 4th anniversary of the date of registration and each subsequent test will be due on the same date each year.

Test it after the due date and it will be backdated to the that date. If you tested it 360 days after the due date you would only have a valid test for a few days before doing it again.

I don't feel it's fair. I really hoped they'd give from the actual date of test this time as the reason people have cars out of test is purely because the test centres were closed for several months which is not the customer's fault but the customer is being made pay for it. As usual.

D

Deleted member 26715

Still think you are incorrect if the car was brand new you get 3 years but because of the covid that was extended to 3.5 years. Now it has been tested it will get a new test date from the day it passes

Top Bottom