Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Yes . I wiped them off before refitting .
Hopefully you've cracked it then, failing that the sensors can be tested with a meter

My fault code reader is only a cheap Draper one but has been useful for detecting faults .
Some years ago our old Corsa Easytronic car refused to start and came up with an "F" on the gear indicator. Never seen that before .
I put the fault code reader on and it came up with camshaft sensor circuit. I went to my local Vauxhall dealer for a camshaft position sensor.
When they heard that I had an "F" come up alarm bells started ring ! Could be the gearbox actuator! £1000 plus re programming . "It's got to come in for us to sort out ! "
I had to hire a recovery truck to deliver my car to the garage . The garage kept my car in so that they could connect it up to their diagnostic equipment. They kept it for a day and fixed it .
The cause ? Camshaft position sensor ! :angry:
It only cost me £200 +! :angry:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
iCarsoft V2 Volvo-SAAB here. As well as engine codes it does transmission, SRS, brakes, aircon, all the gubbins. It will clear codes on all systems, and can configure new modules, force regen, calibrate new components, set base settings. Not quite as comprehensive as VIDA-DICE, the volvo dealer system, but it runs it close and is far, far more convenient to use. Well chaffwd for £136.

keithmac

Guru
I use FORScan on our Kuga with the Ford VCM2 adapter.

Much better than Fords own dealer IDS software which I've also been unfortunate enough to use.

FORScan does module calibration, firmware updates, fault codes, data logging etc.

The VCM2 was £150 BUT Ford wanted £100+vat just to read 2 geabox codes..

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Was fighting with rear discs and pads on the wife’s Mini Cooper the other week! First time I’ve come across the fact you have to turn and push the piston back in. Much sweating and all sorted albeit I’ve split the dust gator on one side . That’s gonna hurt at some point!
Coming to the conclusion it’s easier to pay someone to sort this shoot out .

gbb

Legendary Member
Was fighting with rear discs and pads on the wife’s Mini Cooper the other week! First time I’ve come across the fact you have to turn and push the piston back in. Much sweating and all sorted albeit I’ve split the dust gator on one side . That’s gonna hurt at some point!
Coming to the conclusion it’s easier to pay someone to sort this shoot out .
Many years ago I had a Lancia Beta and spent hours (without the luxury of a manual) trying to get the piston back...and failed completely. I often wonder if that was one of the early examples of wind in pistons and I just didnt realise it at the time.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep and then it’s either clockwise or anti clockwise !! Every days a school day! Just need to sort out new tyres and get the MOT done, wish it never got extended ! It just got put off !!

D

Deleted member 26715

Rear calipers almost always wind in, exception being some Citroens like the Xantia that had the handbrake operating on the front wheels.
Yep & as mentioned below they were left handed threaded on the passenger side
Yep and then it’s either clockwise or anti clockwise !! Every days a school day! Just need to sort out new tyres and get the MOT done, wish it never got extended ! It just got put off !!
I don't think you are the only one, lot's got put off, some very unsafe cars I would expect as well

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to work on SAAB cars, the mk11 99 had wind in calipers on the front wheels (the early ones had a drum brake inside the front discs)
Loads of cars used to fail the MOT on ineffective handbrake (it's on the front wheel not the rear) and excessive lever travel (the handbrake is set with a 15 thou feeler gauge on the actuating arm, 6 clicks on the handle is factory standard)

Top Bottom