Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I was going to suggest somewhere local to refurb the old rad - there are still plenty of places about that do it - but with the lockdown and the like that's probably not going to fly.

D

Deleted member 26715

Didn't think they bother refurbing them these days, plastic outer, alloy inner, 2 local firms we had closed down years ago, not like the old days where you could cut the offending tube & solder the ends up.

Once spent a couple of hours doing this only the leave a set of pliers on to of the radiator on starting which fell into the fan & straight into the newly repaired radiator, senior moments even in my late teens.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son's changing the high bulbs on his Fabia 2015 with projector bulbs. I've just left im too it as the passenger side one is a pig - can get the bulb in, but there is no room to twist it - he's got smaller hands than me. I've tried and my hand is aching.

My car's original mats are still looking good, but the driver's side one isn't as 'stiff' as it was and bunches up a little. Just fixed it by sticking some spare mat to the underside of the original with hot melt. :okay:

Son had all his wheels off yesterday giving his car a good clean. Down side of his 'Domino's deliveries' locally is there are quite few small lanes, which at this time of year are full of farm mud. His car was a mess from Thursday's deliveries.

D

Deleted member 1258

Son's changing the high bulbs on his Fabia 2015 with projector bulbs. I've just left im too it as the passenger side one is a pig - can get the bulb in, but there is no room to twist it - he's got smaller hands than me. I've tried and my hand is aching.

My car's original mats are still looking good, but the driver's side one isn't as 'stiff' as it was and bunches up a little. Just fixed it by sticking some spare mat to the underside of the original with hot melt. :okay:

Son had all his wheels off yesterday giving his car a good clean. Down side of his 'Domino's deliveries' locally is there are quite few small lanes, which at this time of year are full of farm mud. His car was a mess from Thursday's deliveries.

I always have that problem with changing bulbs, my hands are too big, when I had my KA I once changed a bulb, when a bulb went on its replacement, a Hyundai Getz, I just took it down Halford, too much faf to do it myself.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I always have that problem with changing bulbs, my hands are too big, when I had my KA I once changed a bulb, when a bulb went on its replacement, a Hyundai Getz, I just took it down Halford, too much faf to do it myself.

It's really tight in his Fabia. Mine and MrsF's Nissans are OK. A mate had a Honda that needed the front bumper taking off for headlight bulbs.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My BMW 130i required the airbox to be removed to change a headlight lamp. By contrast the Volvo V50 was a tour de force of thoughtful design, with a pin that was removed allowing you to take the whole headlight out, then take it in the warm/dry to replace the lamp(s) at your leisure.

My BMW 130i required the airbox to be removed to change a headlight lamp. By contrast the Volvo V50 was a tour de force of thoughtful design, with a pin that was removed allowing you to take the whole headlight out, then take it in the warm/dry to replace the lamp(s) at your leisure.

Like the V50, my Octavia is easy
One plastic nut to be unscrewed (vibration proof), & a metal lever, then the whole headlamp comes out
Only issue with mine is, that somewhere along the roads, there's the rubber cover that fits over the access port, as it's missing from the offside unit

Hicky

Guru
Renault Clio headlights, you have to have claw hands and vision that can astound superman, The XC70 drivers side is only ever so slightly better which is a shock considering the size of the thing. My old Focus was an absolute joy to do basic things on.

screenman

Legendary Member

Something I have wondered about for a while, who pays the insurance for delivery drivers like your son?

Top Bottom