Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
No spare on my Volvo - its the 'sporty'model with the quad exhaust set up which takes up space where the spare would go. Its has the gunk and pump but I tells you, im rigorous about pressures and regularly checking for F.O.D.

tyred

Legendary Member
Getting back to mileage on engines,I've had over 700,000 miles of a diesel engine in the past.The vehicle was falling apart when I scrapped it but engine was still good.Nissan 2.7 diesel,probally the best engines I've ever owned/drove.
I think there is between 350,000 to 400,000 miles on my 1991 1.6d VW (an estimate because I had to replace the instrument pod twice when they stopped working properly). It's been off the road now for about 2 years awaiting body refurbishment but the engine and gearbox are still going fine.

I think the highest mileage I ever saw on an engine without rebuilds was around 600,000 on a E36 BMW 325TDS that belonged to a friend of my uncle's.

Gunk

Guru
I think the highest mileage I ever saw on an engine without rebuilds was around 600,000 on a E36 BMW 325TDS that belonged to a friend of my uncle's.

I had a 325 TDS touring brand new back in 1996, I sold it to my parents three years later with just over 100,000 on the clock, they managed to clock up another 175,000 miles in it, still with the original clutch. The seats looked virtually unworn, the only tell tale sign of the inter-galactic mileage was a very worn leather steering wheel.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Rear windscreen wiper motor gave up on the Mk2 Octavia hatch.

£200+ at the dealer, £100-£150 backstreet garage for new motor and fitting.

Took bootlid trim off and dismantled motor. Wire brushed inner cogs to remove rust and corrosion, regreased and reinstalled*. Fully working again.

Cost = cold fingers and a bit of swearing.

* It's a common fault with VAG of the time as they ran the screenwash pipe next to the motor and it often came loose and dumped screenwash into the motor innards, washing out grease and causing corrosion. Now tied pipe down with electrical tape and cable tie.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think there is between 350,000 to 400,000 miles on my 1991 1.6d VW (an estimate because I had to replace the instrument pod twice when they stopped working properly). It's been off the road now for about 2 years awaiting body refurbishment but the engine and gearbox are still going fine.

I've been told a million+ miles is quite common on passenger coaches.

No idea if the engines need rebuilding in that time.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'll have to see what Tesco is per litre, the fancy stuff was £1.35/ litre iirc.

A few people have said the mpg is better on the Premium diesel.
Somewhat embarrassingly i cant remember if it was a diesel or petrol but in my working abroad days i used to get ferried to / from the airport by a guy with a 5 series estate who did all the companies shuttling back and forward.
He always maintained supermarket fuel gave poorer fuel economy (mind this was 15 years ago...how time flies). He was fastidious with his record keeping so i never had reason to doubt him....but who knows, you hear plenty of opinions the other way (realising that isnt quite the same as comparing premium with standard supermarket fuel)

gbb

Legendary Member

Not quite the same but certainly the Mercedes lorries at a former employer were serviced within an inch of their lives, very well and regularly maintained. To go round the clock was no big deal at all.

Moodyman

Legendary Member

That's perfectly plausible. Coaches and trucks do long continuous journeys which are kind to engines and drivetrains.

It's difficult to achieve a million miles for an ordinary car due to our congested roads. Stop/start driving kills cars quick.

In the US, where they do much longer journeys due its size, it's not uncommon for cars to glide past a million miles.

D

Deleted member 26715

The 2007-2012 Toyota 2.2 D4D 150/180bhp variants were very susceptible to poor quality fuel, they had to pay for quite a few customer engines, can't remember exactly what it was but it was a big deal back around 2010, it took it that long to raise it's ugly head, if you go onto some Toyota forums & suggest all fuel is the same it's like making a homophobic or racist remark on this website.

figbat

Slippery scientist

As others have said, perfectly reasonable. I have spent some time working on oils for such vehicles (trucks, buses, agricultural and construction machinery etc) and a key factor with commercial vehicles is that they are both an asset and a liability. They are primarily money generators so need to be busy as much as possible because if they are idle they are money pits. Servicing is handled differently by different users - some use a guilt-edged service approach to keep the vehicle healthy and avoid unplanned downtime; this is an expensive approach though so others save costs on servicing and fix what breaks.

A busy truck is a happy truck though and 100,000 miles a year is not out of the question. Long journeys at constant speed are kind to the drivetrain so long-haul fleets can manage well. These engines have huge oil volumes too, so plenty to absorb all the power and abuse thrown at it (oil drain intervals can go up to 100,000 miles under perfect conditions). Throw in some hills, heavy loads or stop-start operation typical of, for example, construction equipment (idle, idle, idle.... FULL POWER!!.....idle, idle idle) or agricultural machines (hibernate, hibernate..... HARVEST!!!.... hibernate...) and component life can be shorter with more servicing and overhaul needed.

Adam4868

Guru

The Nissan's 2.7 turbo and non turbo will do well over a million miles.Same engine that was fitted in the London taxi at one point.Pretty much indestructible unless you bolied them/overheated !

tyred

Legendary Member
Now when I think about it I remember reading an article in a Car Mechanics a few years ago where they featured an E30 BMW which had something like 1.5 million miles covered but the car still had the original tyres.

The reason was that it had been used as a test mule by Mobil for testing different engine and transmission oils and had spent basically it's whole life inside on rollers.

It shows just how long an engine will last in ideal circumstances.

A friend of my Dad's had a late 1970s Massey Ferguson 565 which has over 30,000 hours on the clock on the original engine. The tractor was bought new and we'll maintained but it did work very hard for most of it's life. The clutch pedal had to be replaced as it wore through and the steering wheel is worn through to the steel! His son still owns it although it's enjoying a gentle retirement. It still starts instantly and uses very little oil.

Top Bottom