Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sadly I’m old enough to remember them. My Mum had a 1275GT back in the day

So am I, & the TV adverts
(I'm 55)

My mothers first car was a (rather rotten) Mini Clubman, circa 1982?
From memory, it was held together with underseal

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Fitted new wipers to the volvo. I always go for decent wipers, so this time went for Bosch aerotwins. Not cheap, but still 6 sheets cheaper than OE Volvo. Please to see the XC90 has a very simple click fit system, so no fannying about finding the correct adaptor etc.

D

Deleted member 26715

Slight problem with the kit, I've bought Goodridge braided hoses for the brakes, it has new cunifer hard lines from the MC to the end of the braided hoses. I have a weep on one joint, clearly on brakes not acceptable, so cut back the cunifer & reflared it, reconnected & still got a leak. Going to try to replace the fitting tomorrow, but f that doesn't work all I can think is the flexible hose is faulty

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My son's mate turned up earlier. We've moved our cars off the drive. They are 'half way' through fittling lowering springs to his friend's DS3. They did have to pop out for a set of weird torx sockets as the Citroen has some odd bolts on the rear suspension. They are working socially distanced in the fresh air. They did have to take the gazebo down as it was about to blow away ! Fortunately, the rain has held off.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Drivers side headlight glass has had a hole in it since I bought the Volvo 240 last year, so after finding an original to replace it with on a well known auction site, I stripped the front end and replaced it. The damage has been done to the reflector bowl though, and I foresee an advisory on next years MOT....

fossyant

Slight issue. My son's friend had the bright idea of hitting the threadded top of the strut with a hammer to seat the suspension better. Erm they have damaged the thread. Made worse by trying to thread the nut back on and took half the thread off the nut, and then they tried the nut off the other side and damaged that.

They have called re-inforcements from a friend who has a tap and die set. I feel the car will be stuck on our drive a few days ! Lads eh. The friend isn't 'bothered' he's messed it up - worse case he just gets upgraded shocks as he was just doing the springs so far.

I just asked 'how's it going'... I just shook my head when I heard. They have to learn..

As a bear minimum they will need two new nuts. :rolleyes:

fossyant

Oh well, car is going no-where. Friend is ordering upgraded aftermarket shocks. Two other 'assistants' have just turned up, and on more fiddling, the drive shaft popped out dumping transmission fluid over my drive I recon ! :ohmy:

fossyant

I have a small oil slick on my drive. Scrubbed it with screw fix degreaser but I'll need more. They recon they lost a litre. They will have to drain the box then refill with 2.2 litres, as no way of measuring.

I said don't do it until you've installed the new shocks and springs just incase the drive shaft pops out again.

D

Deleted member 26715

I said don't do it until you've installed the new shocks and springs just incase the drive shaft pops out again.
Been there done that on a Citroen C2 we were changing the strut, said to the lad, you need to keep the pressure on the drive shaft of it's pop out of the gearbox, just as it popped out of the gearbox. Isn't the fill hole the level hole on them? It's 4 years ago so can't remember

fossyant

Been there done that on a Citroen C2 we were changing the strut, said to the lad, you need to keep the pressure on the drive shaft of it's pop out of the gearbox, just as it popped out of the gearbox. Isn't the fill hole the level hole on them? It's 4 years ago so can't remember

The fill hole is on the top of this, but it specifically says change to lot (which it would do). I've had others where the fill hole is on the side. It's a battery and battery tray out job to get to the fill hole - and to add to the fun, the ECU is attached !

I believe on my lad's skoda you can remove the drive shaft without the oil coming out.

I expect the car to be on my drive most of the week, unless his mate takes a day off - WFH ! He lives about 15 miles away !

D

Deleted member 26715

I believe on my lad's skoda you can remove the drive shaft without the oil coming out.
Yes unfortunately Citroen do try to do things cheaply, as you mention others VW, Toyota, Mazda, BMW (only ones I have worked on recently) all split the driveshaft just before it goes into the gearbox/differential which makes life a lot easier, but costs more.

Top Bottom