Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All done. Lads popped out to get a square socket for the gear box sump - finally ended up at Machine Mart and £20 lighter for a set, but it fitted. Drained, and re-filled with the correct amount of gearbox oil as there is no way of telling what they lost. Car re-assembled, tools put away. His car looks quite good, only 45mm lower, so nothing stupid.

They discovered the driver side CV gaitor strap had snapped at some point as my son's mate got a handful of CV grease - looks like it broke some time ago. Temporary repair with a jubilee clip, but you can get the correct straps and a fitting tool for not too much.

One of their mates took a look on Saturday and told them not to use the impact spanner tightening up the struts - big torque wrench used !

I gave them a spark plug socket with a 'hole' in the top, so they could use a 7mm allen key (from my bike tool chest) to hold the strut still, whilst the other one tightened up the nut using an open spanner on the socket. Worked a treat.

fossyant

Oh dear. Son's that happy with the job they did o his friends car, he's ordered a full set of adjustable coil overs.

Currently has his car in bits.

Oh dear. Son's that happy with the job they did o his friends car, he's ordered a full set of adjustable coil overs.
Currently has his car in bits.
hehe excellent! I remember being young & every new-to-me car I got, the 1st thing I did, was change shocks/springs/struts, whatever, at all 4 corners. my Son's '94 Camry needs it bad, but not sure I want to spend my money (or his) that way, right now. he needs to replace that car altogether

fossyant

All fitted and the car is 50mm lower. New shocks and springs. The front runs on two different springs rather than one.

The anti roll bar was rubbing the drive shaft so my son turned round the drop link that moved the bar out of the way. Ideally he needs shorter drop links.

His lower wishbone bushings are worn, so he has poly bushes on order as his top link bush has already got poly bushes.

The car will be no good for my back.

As part of my camper resto I'm changing springs, shocks, brakes etc, spot the deliberate mistake......

Top Bottom