Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Closed the drivers door on my Mk 7 Golf during the week and glass for the wing mirror popped off and smashed on the floor.

Replacement (with the backing plate) was £65 from the main stealers 🤑

A couple of minutes to fit and it’s all fixed. It was a bit hairy driving without a drivers side mirror for a couple of days.

I also wedged some hard foam behind the rev counter on Mrs G’s R55 Mini to stop the rattling at 50 mph, works perfectly!

gbb

Legendary Member
Different driving styles...
My car, 2015 Astra still has the original brake pads at nearly 70k miles
My daughter has a late 2015, early 2016 Astra GTC with 20k miles...and her husband replaced the pads today.:whistle: (as well as an oil and filter change)
One day I'm going to look at her trip computer, see what MPG shes achieving :laugh:

Different driving styles...
My car, 2015 Astra still has the original brake pads at nearly 70k miles
My daughter has a late 2015, early 2016 Astra GTC with 20k miles...and her husband replaced the pads today.:whistle: (as well as an oil and filter change)
One day I'm going to look at her trip computer, see what MPG shes achieving :laugh:
My 2015 scenic is on its second set of discs and pads all round and it only has 65,000 miles on the clock. It’s a flipping heavy car, but I need the 3 isofix seats in the back at the moment. As we are both home working the mileage has gone right down and it’s wasted as a diesel but needs must as we can’t afford any of the other options out there (S-max, C4 Picasso, Touran, BMW X5).

Reactions: gbb
D

Deleted member 26715

New rear tyres on the Rav4 not too bad £160 the pair fitted, had it 7 years now, 46K miles put on it & they weren't new tyres when we bought it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A set of extractor sockets and a mallet will give change from £20.

Sorted it.

Power of google. Scissor jack and pressure onto the locknut key made of cheese, and I only needed to lean on it with an 18" breaker bar.

Oh and a handy wall from the house.

Saved £60. Took me longer to find the locknuts as son still in bed.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Filled up car with fuel a few weeks back . Impressed with my car DIY skills.

A long time ago, when we were newly married, we spent twelve months with a jack holding up one corner of our bed after we broke a leg off the bed and had to wait a while before we replaced it.
Bet that put a dampener on bedroom activity for a while; you know newly married couples never get our bed 🛌 🤣😘

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I filled up at the end of November, still over 1/4 of a tank left !

My son is onto, what is hopefully, the last of the suspension fettling. After fitting front two new top mounts (ended up with poly bushes as the replacements were crap), we discovered the top mount bearing on the side that had been 'fiddled with' for an MOT had broken. New bearing required.

The knackered top mount, bearing and lower arm bushing have all been on the left !

My son's just removed the lower arms and the bushing fell out of the left side (not good). These are now being replaced by poly bushes as he's upgraded his suspension anyway.

Top Bottom