Car D.I.Y.

yo vanilla

Senior Member
Location
WI, USA
This weekend I was replacing the seal on the upper timing cover for my Audi... and this happened

578804
 

steven1988

Über Member
Location
Sheffield
I spent today polishing my idea for a bike rack in the back of my van, the rack was too wide for the cyclocross tyres so i have filled it out with some 12mm ply.

They are now snug but the top is
579927


579928


catching on the spokes, tomorrow's plan is to take them back out and take an inch off the top so it will be all tyre and a bungee cord to hold them in.
 

tyred

Legendary Member
Location
Ireland
I replaced a seized rear brake calliper and fitted new pads on my Mum's Kia Soul. Pretty straightforward really, much less hassle than working on drum brakes, but the replacement shoes and two new rear cylinders for my 205 cost about half of what calliper cost for the Kia.:ohmy:

The horn has also stopped working and I couldn't seem to find it to test if there is power getting to it. Mr Google informs me that the whole front bumper assembly has to be removed from the Soul to access the horn:cry::banghead:

Give me my ancient Peugeot any day. It's cheaper and easier to maintain it.
 
OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Location
Poshshire
Sadly, I reckon both Ant and Elvis are better spannermen too.

Edd's a director for several companies, his address isn't hard to find. The anus of a town isn't that large.
 

tyred

Legendary Member
Location
Ireland
I replaced the horn on my Mum's Kia today, managed to avoid having to completely remove the front bumper. I undid the top studs and managed to fit my hand in to unscrew it.

I fitted the fancy dual tone jobs robbed from an old Audi 80 Sport, sounds much better than the pathetic original.

I also got two new tyres fitted to the front of my Peugeot.
 

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
I replaced the horn on my Mum's Kia today, managed to avoid having to completely remove the front bumper. I undid the top studs and managed to fit my hand in to unscrew it.

I fitted the fancy dual tone jobs robbed from an old Audi 80 Sport, sounds much better than the pathetic original.

I also got two new tyres fitted to the front of my Peugeot.
My Suzuki Swift needed a new bonnet catch last year, Suzuki were telling me it would need the front of the car dismantling and it would cost me two arms and three legs, I took it to the local garage they did it while I waited, took them less than half an hour and they charged twenty five quid for the fitting.
 
OP
Drago

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Location
Poshshire
My Suzuki Swift needed a new bonnet catch last year, Suzuki were telling me it would need the front of the car dismantling and it would cost me two arms and three legs, I took it to the local garage they did it while I waited, took them less than half an hour and they charged twenty five quid for the fitting.
Suzuki will do it the way the factory advise, covers their arriss in any subsequent liabilty claims. Sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes thats a bad thing. For a simple bonnet catch I'm not sure thats a good thing, but I can understand their reluctance to deviate from manufacturers processes.

Ive been thinking of selling my car and the motorhome and getting a camper or a day camper. I do like some of the VW's, but object to paying the 'VW tax', and being Jewish im disimclined to purchase any product from the company.

Despite all that, I do rather like the look of the shape/model you have there.
 
Last edited:

dave r

Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner
Suzuki will do it the way the factory advise, covers their arriss in any subsequent liabilty claims. Sometimes thats a good thing, sometimes thats a bad thing. For a simple bonnet catch I'm not sure thats a good thing, but I can understand their reluctance to deviate from manufacturers processes.

Ive been thinking of selling my car and the motorhome and getting a camper or a day camper. I do like some of the VW's, but object to laying the 'VW tax', and being Jewish im disimclined to purchase any product from the company.

Despite all that, I do rather like the look of the shape/model you have there.
Originally the local mechanic fixed it with a spare spring he found in the workshop, it was only the spring that had failed, apparently a not uncommon problem, they tend to rust, but I wasn't happy with that as a long term solution so I went looking for a new spring and was told they don't do just the spring but I'd have to have the whole catch.
 

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Had a very unpleasant surprise this morning.
During the last couple of days I have been giving the wheels and arches on Mrs B's Tiguan a deep clean following winter. I came to do the same on my Golf, so off with the first wheel; or so I thought.
Normal socket bar - Wheel stud wouldn't move
Extension bar - Nothing
Steel pipe added to extension bar - Zero movement
Electric impact driver - Nothing

Out of 20 wheel studs only 2 would remove and those only with the impact driver. :sad:
The car was only bought last September! I thought the days of overpowered tyre guns were behind us, but obviously not.
I'll need to ring the garage who looks after Mrs B's car tomorrow and get it booked in.
 
Top Bottom