Car D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
13 this year.

Let you off, 12 ! :laugh:

Adam4868

Guru
I think mines got about 180,000 miles on it.Barely run in ! MOT last week and a brake imbalance was it.Got a sticking front caliper.Got it passed and bought a second hand one from scrapyard.Ill get it fitted in next few weeks.

fossyant

My missus keeps saying, 'when are you going to change it'. Why, it just works. Unless it get's un-reliable, I'll keep it. The exhaust lasted 18 1/2 years, so not complaining. Still on all original brake pipes etc. All you need to do is wash the car, and jet wash off salt and mud from under the arches and the underfloor.

Given how things have changed at work, it's just the bike lugger now. If I changed it, I'd get a 3 year old Nissan Pulsar 1.6T Tekna, slightly smaller, still easy to reach the roof, but a hatch, oh and 190 bhp, easily tuneable to 230 with a quick re-map, but still looks like your nan's car ! :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Not so much car diy but more car rescue...
DIL phoned me up tonight.....
'has my car got a spare wheel?'
'You got a puncture then ?'
'Errrr....'
She was across town, it's dark.
'Gimme 10 minutes '

Yes, she had a space saver. Job done,

keithmac

Guru
Not so much car diy but more car rescue...
DIL phoned me up tonight.....
'has my car got a spare wheel?'
'You got a puncture then ?'
'Errrr....'
She was across town, it's dark.
'Gimme 10 minutes '

Yes, she had a space saver. Job done,

I made sure ours came with a spare, the tin of gunge and the crappy inflator don't cut it!.

keithmac

Guru
I've used super diesel a couple of times.

The car did feel a bit more perky, but that is a very subjective judgment.

Lots online about supermarket fuel being cheap and nasty, but there's also lots of people who say it comes from the same depot as the fuel delivered to Shell or BP stations.

Yep it comes from the same place but the additive package is different.

We've used Tesco Diesel for 15 years or more but it definitely feels smoother to drive and idle which genuinely surprised me (I honestly didn't expect any difference).

Doing the family shop tomorrow while my wife is recovering so will see how it performs in the morning..

Adam4868

Guru
I've allways thought a space saver was a sh1t idea.Bit like selling a car on the strength of it having cup holders ! Proper spare wheel ffs.

1n the 90s/2000s I ran a fiesta 1.8 diesel, I took it to 125000 miles. As it was used for work I was logging all mileage.
Premium brands (shell/esso etc) gave 10% better fuel consumption. This more than offset the extra price. However I never tried the super versions.

keithmac

Guru
I'll have to see what Tesco is per litre, the fancy stuff was £1.35/ litre iirc.

A few people have said the mpg is better on the Premium diesel.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Well, I fitted a new alternator and a new battery the other week. Couldn't get the belt back on (stretchy belt, no tensioners) so the garage did it for me and replaced both belts while they were at it. I then went out the pther morning to a flat battery. Tested the alternator and it is certianly charging the battery. Must be some sort of drain. I had a look at my subwoofer in the boot and sure enough the remote power wire had come loose. I think it was either disconnected or making contact with the constant power wire so was draining all night. Have to test it later but hopefully that was the problem.

Next DIY job is make a tray for the subwoofer and box around the wires so my shopping doesn't keep catching them

Gunk

Guru
I've allways thought a space saver was a sh1t idea.Bit like selling a car on the strength of it having cup holders ! Proper spare wheel ffs.

Personally I’ve always thought runflats were a good idea, having had a puncture in our old 3 series touring with a boot full of luggage and two babies on board, being able to just drive on (albeit at reduced speed) to a garage to get it fixed was far more appealing than trying to change a wheel on the hard shoulder of the M6.

Mrs Gunks Mini has them, and I’ve just changed all four tyres, they are expensive, and that’s why lots of used Minis are just fitted with cheap regular tyres and a can of gloop in the boot, but I think they’re worth it

Last edited:

fossyant

Mine has what is labled as a space saver (big sticker on it) it's a steelie from the base model (smaller wheel, but higher profile tyre). I had a space saver on an Alfa once, bloody dangerous TBH - only drove the car home.

fossyant

Personally I’ve always thought runflats were a good idea, having had a puncture in our old 3 series touring with a boot full of luggage and two babies on board, being able to just drive on (albeit at reduced speed) to a garage to get it fixed was far more appealing than trying to change a wheel on the hard shoulder of the M6.

Mrs Gunks Mini has them, and I’ve just changed all four tyres, they are expensive, and that’s why lots of used Minis are just fitted with cheap regular tyres and a can of gloop in the boot, but I think they’re worth it

Many folk hate the ride quality though - quite harsh. Add in low profile run flats, oh my back ! Only ever had a 'flat' at home

Top Bottom