Car Fashions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Strange, when the mk3 cortina was launched in the early 70's, the one that was nicknamed the Coca Cola shape, I used to think they were ugly after the smooth and simple lines of the previous models.

But yesterday I saw one, a gleaming blue GLX (top is the range) one, with its curvey lines. Looked so elegant alongside the modern chunky 4x4's. Would like one now!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
This is older than me, but I can see the appeal....

upload_2019-5-22_10-56-42.png

SoapyWeasel

Über Member
For me it's the old school minis, especially in brit racing green, kitted out and ready to rally.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's metal front to back, how long has it been since a beautiful, elegant or pretty mainstream plastic enveloped car was released?

Even drab 1970's cars can look good compared to today's bloated fake creased blobs.
Have to say I'm not so sure. I'd say most modern cars are indistinguishably bland - but many from the 60s/70s were unspeakably hideous. Truly fugly cars have pretty much disappeared.

MarkF

Guru
I hope the fashion for ever more needlessly bloated cars ends.

I was at a wedding in Easingwold last weekend, OK for us as we were in an MX5, but regular family cars (bloated SUV's) couldn't pass each other on the country lanes without one stopping.

I sold a 1998 Jeep Cherokee last year that sat 5 in comfort and took a pile of luggage, yet l'd park next to a modern SUV and it'd look comically small.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I sold a 1998 Jeep Cherokee last year that sat 5 in comfort and took a pile of luggage, yet l'd park next to a modern SUV and it'd look comically small.
My 2000XJ was lifted by 4.5" and running 32" tyres but still looked small next to a 'normal' 4x4 and the results were comical when watching someone in a similarly modified typical off-roader trying to squeeze through tight gates or under low branches etc. Just size for the sake of it, probably attractive to people that need to compensate for their tiny...….. personalities?

Top Bottom