Car-free living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe I only meet reluctant drivers then. Don't people you meet complain about petrol prices/insurance/MOT/road tax/speed limits/lack of parking/diversions/traffic wardens/that B*****d that just cut across them on the motorway?

Of course not, it’s a delight being a car owner in the U.K. ;) :whistle:

Car free living is a state of mind. For 7 years when I lived and worked in London, one tube stop away from the workplace, did not drive a car once. Rode everywhere on a bike and enjoyed the car free existence. Even took the bike on trains to other cities and towns. Owning, parking and driving in London is not only cost prohibitive, it was inconvenient. No brainer.

It was not the case when I moved away from London. I could be dogmatic and deny myself the car and I would not die for sure. The inconvenience, cutting down on quality of life, time saved and not depending on others for a lift etc was a big ask.

The other alternative is to find a job, a place that does not require a car. But there is a price in terms of career opportunities, the ideal setting for a home etc.

In essence, I do appreciate why some need a car and why some don't.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe I only meet reluctant drivers then. Don't people you meet complain about petrol prices/insurance/MOT/road tax/speed limits/lack of parking/diversions/traffic wardens/that B*****d that just cut across them on the motorway?

Of course we moan about those things from time to time. Just as cyclists moan about the price of bikes, the weather, other cyclists and so on. We are a race of moaners.

But what many cyclists don't realise is that for most cyclists cycling is not a lifestyle choice but a sport, a hobby or a leisure activity. It has to fit in around everything else. I started cycling seriously when I was thirteen, but apart from when I first started work two years later and had yet to get a licence the bike has never been used to commute or for any form of basic transport. I find it too slow and inconvenient, you are at the mercy of the weather and the terrain and are extremely limited in what you can carry.

Not all of us live in cities or work in an office where we sit down all day and have somewhere to dry our clothes and after a day on your feet doing any sort of manual work the thought of riding home into a wet headwind is not attractive. I raced and trained in it many times but never felt any desire to do any utility cycling in it. And believe it or not, a lot of people actually enjoy cars and driving as you'll see on the motoring thread here.. I can understand that others don't, but each to there own.

D

Deleted member 1258

Of course we moan about those things from time to time. Just as cyclists moan about the price of bikes, the weather, other cyclists and so on. We are a race of moaners.

But what many cyclists don't realise is that for most cyclists cycling is not a lifestyle choice but a sport, a hobby or a leisure activity. It has to fit in around everything else. I started cycling seriously when I was thirteen, but apart from when I first started work two years later and had yet to get a licence the bike has never been used to commute or for any form of basic transport. I find it too slow and inconvenient, you are at the mercy of the weather and the terrain and are extremely limited in what you can carry.

Not all of us live in cities or work in an office where we sit down all day and have somewhere to dry our clothes and after a day on your feet doing any sort of manual work the thought of riding home into a wet headwind is not attractive. I raced and trained in it many times but never felt any desire to do any utility cycling in it. And believe it or not, a lot of people actually enjoy cars and driving as you'll see on the motoring thread here.. I can understand that others don't, but each to there own.

I went the other way, I started off using the bike as a means of transport, the club rides and other stuff I did came later, I never raced though. I was always a manual worker, never worked in a office, but I was a cycle commuter for over 30 years, I only stopped when I retired.

tyred

Legendary Member
I could survive without a car as I have shops, work, pubs, theatre, etc within walking distance and enjoy riding out into the mountains around here.

It would become very boring and limiting though. Post ankle injury, my ability to ride long distances in a reasonable time frame isn't what it was and this is not easy cycling terrain around here in the first place. My nearest railway station is about thirty miles away. There basically is no useful bus services unless I want to go to Dublin.

Life without a car would be doable but very limited. My car can often sit for weeks at a time without moving and I find it ugly, bland and completely uninteresting as cars go but it's only really costing me the cost of the tax and insurance to have it sitting there so I can use it when I need to or want to.

The other thing is when I was recovering from my injuries, I was allowed to drive ages before I was allowed to cycle or could walk any distance so I drove a lot to the coast or the mountains and the freedom and heads pace stopped me from becoming very depressed at the time.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Car free is not for me.

The weather, getting the bike in and out of the house, the hills, the time it takes to get to places compared to car, the stuff I cannot carry. A car is just too convenient.

Might as well go mobile-phone free. Like it was in the "old days". We survived but it's far more convenient to have one.

Actually for me driving is therapeutic, not always, but enough times, and it's alone-in-a-bubble time, just going slowly in a quiet electric car. A moment of quietness while running one's errands.

The only other quiet time is on the bike in the forest.

CXRAndy

Guru
Its all to do with where you work and live. I have friends/family live in london- no need for a car at all..

Where I live, nearest shop 2 miles away, nearest town 8 miles, and 17 miles to a city. Nearest train station 2.5miles. Retired, so don't require commuter, line but do need car for youngest child's school run.

I went the other way, I started off using the bike as a means of transport, the club rides and other stuff I did came later, I never raced though. I was always a manual worker, never worked in a office, but I was a cycle commuter for over 30 years, I only stopped when I retired.

I went that way too: I couldn't have afforded a car if I wanted one so I got a good bike instead. The bike is still in daily use a quarter of a century later and still looks pretty smart. Riding for long distances and fun came later, well apart from the fun of riding past traffic jams...

Car free is not for me.

The weather, getting the bike in and out of the house, the hills, the time it takes to get to places compared to car, the stuff I cannot carry. A car is just too convenient.

Might as well go mobile-phone free. Like it was in the "old days". We survived but it's far more convenient to have one.

Actually for me driving is therapeutic, not always, but enough times, and it's alone-in-a-bubble time, just going slowly in a quiet electric car. A moment of quietness while running one's errands.

Fair enough, with every decision is a cost, for us or for others. I decided that the cost for other people is too much, having experienced it first hand.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Car free is not for me.

I drove for years and also valued the alone time in the car. It helped having a good stereo and comfy seats.

I have no idea what happened when I retired, but suddenly I lost that comfort and confidence and became unhappy with the risks and responsibilities of driving two tons of Volvo at 60 mph while listening to La Traviata.

Now, when I drive, I am probably over cautious and even 30 miles exhausts me.

I have become that infuriating old man driving a Volvo within the speed limit.😉

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
I drove for years and also valued the alone time in the car. It helped having a good stereo and comfy seats.

I have no idea what happened when I retired, but suddenly I lost that comfort and confidence and became unhappy with the risks and responsibilities of driving two tons of Volvo at 60 mph while listening to La Traviata.

Now, when I drive, I am probably over cautious and even 30 miles exhausts me.

I have become that infuriating old man driving a Volvo within the speed limit.😉

I like people sticking to the speed limit. I drive just slightly over as to not be a pita for the driver behind but not so fast that it doesn't feel right. I actually like people sticking to the limit.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Car free living is a state of mind. For 7 years when I lived and worked in London, one tube stop away from the workplace, did not drive a car once. Rode everywhere on a bike and enjoyed the car free existence. Even took the bike on trains to other cities and towns. Owning, parking and driving in London is not only cost prohibitive, it was inconvenient. No brainer.

It was not the case when I moved away from London. I could be dogmatic and deny myself the car and I would not die for sure. The inconvenience, cutting down on quality of life, time saved and not depending on others for a lift etc was a big ask.

The other alternative is to find a job, a place that does not require a car. But there is a price in terms of career opportunities, the ideal setting for a home etc.

In essence, I do appreciate why some need a car and why some don't.

indeed my workplace is close to 10 miles away , no public transport at all to where it is and with the shift pattern even if there were then your not going to get one after midnight,I cycle so mrs ck can have the car as her and mini ck1 health issues mean they need it but there will come a time when i will have to reconsider riding to work if and when my body cant cope with it and the manual job i do .

Stephenite

Membå
We chose, to a great extent (£), to live where we are because it's convenient for our jobs, the school - and after school/sports/club related activities, and shops. Nothing more than that.

It's ridiculous the amount of driving i have to do though. Feels like i'm always in the car outside of the job. And, it's not my thing, I much prefer cycling and walking. The school is about 2km away, the wifes' office 5km away, and my job 10km away in the opposite direction. My job has 'stupid' hours - between 7am and 11pm. The school normally finishes at around 3pm - and the after school activities usually take place between 5pm and 7pm (most often within the local area, except for mondays). I am often out of the house from 6.30am to 7pm. The kids have to be fed, the homework has to be done. The housework has to be done. The days when i'm working late I am out from 7am. to 9am. and then again from 2pm. till 11.30pm. Sleep has to be fitted around the work pattern.

In the New Year i'm going back to the swimming club for health/mental health reasons. That will mean an early start - 5.30 ish.

As much as I'd like to, I don't have the time to wait for a bus.

Top Bottom