Car-free living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Well put Gavroche. If the internet were a country it would rank at number 5 in energy consumed, and by 2025 it will be the biggest energy consumer on the planet.

Yet here they are, using the internet to worry about the harm cars do to the planet...

gzoom

Über Member
It's a bit like owning a house; I'm sure many of you would survive in a 1 or 2 bedroom bedsit, but you choose to have a larger house because it's nice and convenient. A bedsit on a busy high street would be cheaper, and would take less energy to heat, but most of us choose to live in the largest house we can afford even if it means consuming more energy as a result

Well summed up, the society we live in rewards individual success first before social contributions, so why is anyone surprised car ownership and large houses are aspirations for most people. Nice cars and big houses are the two major definitions of personal success of our society, trying to persuade the majority of the population neither matter is just wasting your time/energy.

In the never ending debate between StarWars vs StarTrek, this fundamental basis of the StarTrek universe seems like the most distant SciFi dream of them all....

n-of-wealth-is-no-longer-the-driving-force-3676257.png

Ofcourse there is a very fine line between the idea of social equality and nasty C word :laugh:

Pp8HMSV9XMZjsdswDOOZ-LW3ujLZJ1OORlEz8YZPv0cUh81-6w.jpg

Biker man

Well summed up, the society we live in rewards individual success first before social contributions, so why is anyone surprised car ownership and large houses are aspirations for most people. Nice cars and big houses are the two major definitions of personal success of our society, trying to persuade the majority of the population neither matter is just wasting your time/energy.

In the never ending debate between StarWars vs StarTrek, this fundamental basis of the StarTrek universe seems like the most distant SciFi dream of them all....

View attachment 619096

Ofcourse there is a very fine line between the idea of social equality and nasty C word :laugh:

View attachment 619097
Nice cars and big houses are rewards for hard work and they deserve to get them .I have seen people who want equality arrive out of a taxi in pyjamas at a super market fill the trolley with alcohol and cigarettes ,and not paid for by hard work.

yello

Wifi is safer.
Careful. A conspiracy theory lurks.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Folks, this thread is straying somewhat from the original post. Back on topic please and refrain from turning it into a political discussion otherwise I may need to lock the thread.

Thanks.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have wanted to give up having a car in our household for a long time, and we agreed a while ago that when our 16 year old Volvo threw up the next significant problem it would go and we would try it.

Well yesterday a nice man came and put the car on his trailer and took it away in exchange for £300, which I thought was good for an old car needing a new clutch.

Already two neighbours have asked when the new car arrives and will it be electric. My answer that no new car is imminent seems to be shocking.

We are definitely seen as poor now:laugh:

Groceries are delivered, we have many bicycles, mainline train station 1m away, hire car companies galore, hospital and dentist and town centre within easy walking distance.

This will be interesting!

Jameshow

Veteran
I have wanted to give up having a car in our household for a long time, and we agreed a while ago that when our 16 year old Volvo threw up the next significant problem it would go and we would try it.

Well yesterday a nice man came and put the car on his trailer and took it away in exchange for £300, which I thought was good for an old car needing a new clutch.

Already two neighbours have asked when the new car arrives and will it be electric. My answer that no new car is imminent seems to be shocking.

Groceries are delivered, we have many bicycles, mainline train station 1m away, hire car companies galore, hospital and dentist and town centre within easy walking distance.

I would have given £500

That's very cheap for a 240!

D

Deleted member 1258

I was car free for many years, in a coupe of the places where I worked at I was the company driver driving company vans and cars, and I was thought of as weird by many because I could drive but didn't own a car.

Welcome to car free life. It's fantastic (and easier than people think).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

good if you can do it :bicycle:

Top Bottom