Car-free living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Everyone should own a car, and drive it as much as possible. You would greatly enjoy a Hummer H2, and a Perkins engine cknversion would have you apopleptic with joy.

The planet is borked, so why not just enjoy it anyway? Even of those who have gone car free the bulk will still be resource wastrels, ordering prolific amounts of useless consumer tat which gets driven to vast warehouses on diesel lorries, and then to their door in diesel vans, so its really an exercise in transferrence rather than virtue.

Uhoh, someone's been triggered :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's a bit like owning a house; I'm sure many of you would survive in a 1 or 2 bedroom bedsit, but you choose to have a larger house because it's nice and convenient. A bedsit on a busy high street would be cheaper, and would take less energy to heat, but most of us choose to live in the largest house we can afford even if it means consuming more energy as a result
I sometimes think fondly back to my bedsit living days. I remember I once "moved house" on foot/by tube and train. It took me a couple of trips admittedly but I carried all my worldly goods.

D

Deleted member 1258

I sometimes think fondly back to my bedsit living days. I remember I once "moved house" on foot/by tube and train. It took me a couple of trips admittedly but I carried all my worldly goods.

I remember my bedsit days, living in one room made me ill. :sad::sad::sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

It's a bit like owning a house; I'm sure many of you would survive in a 1 or 2 bedroom bedsit, but you choose to have a larger house because it's nice and convenient. A bedsit on a busy high street would be cheaper, and would take less energy to heat, but most of us choose to live in the largest house we can afford even if it means consuming more energy as a result

If its got bedrooms its a flat, a bedsit is one room.

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a luxury bedsit once. The crazy owner of the property had somehow created a "kitchen" about four foot square using hardboard panels on the landing. It contained a sink and the ubiquitous Baby Belling stove. Possibly even a tiny fridge, I don't remember. Almost a flat!

These days they'd call it a studio flat, there is another older name for it but I can't remember it, I remember a place I was renting in the 1970's, we had the ground floor, an outside toilet, no light, and the bath was in the kitchen, if we wanted hot water we boiled it on the cooker.

er, it's not like a house/living accommodation at all unless I've missed something.
How many bedrooms does your car have?
How many toilets?
Isn't the issue energy consumption, carbon emission, climate change etc. In that case, all forms of energy consumption should be considered, not just cars. Its like the Insulate Leader and his wife. Both had no idea what the underlying issue was.

In a spartan world, one would be allocated housing according to size of household. Food should also be allocated to avoid wastage and cooking which emits carbon, use of fossil can also be curtailed. Bikes should ideally be hired on per use basis so that production can reduced and nobody has N+1 or a bike idling in someone's garage.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
er, it's not like a house/living accommodation at all unless I've missed something.
How many bedrooms does your car have?
How many toilets?
It was an example, not a literal comparison. My point is, we could all "do without" some things to all do our bit. I live without the heating on during the day. I bet you have a nice big house which you enjoy, but you would still survive in a flat, just like some people would still survive by not having a car but they choose to have one becasue it's nice

It was an example, not a literal comparison. My point is, we could all "do without" some things to all do our bit. I live without the heating on during the day. I bet you have a nice big house which you enjoy, but you would still survive in a flat, just like some people would still survive by not having a car but they choose to have one becasue it's nice
so you don't think cars are a problem for the planet?

yello

I was in house share once, in West Harrow. Orla, on the ground floor, liked reggae and had some enormous floor standing speakers. She didn't need to crank them up to fill the house. I loved it.

One night, Anna (who was in the room next to me) got dumped by her boyfriend - and she played Lionel Richie's 'Hello' over and over again. I didn't like that so much.

My next move be was to a bedsit. I guess I disliked Lionel Ritchie more than I liked reggae.

I have no idea what relevance that all has to this thread, but the talk of accommodation reminded me.

Biker man

A fair questuon.

Torque is unlimited in the regs and is much a function of gearing as anything else. As a crude example, my regular ebike with a fairly hefty 60 (NM) claimed moves my 19 stone with ease. A more regular weighted rider on a machine with a decent motor with either internal gearing or mid drive through the bikes gears has no trouble moving a hefty load as well.
You say 60 NMT is hefty mine is 70nmt and I want the Borsh CX that has ,85 NMT and some have more the power the better when a very hilly area .

Top Bottom