Car-free living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
Slink away into the night like the cowardly scum they were?

Yes, that would have been my preferred option and the one I would like to think that they would have taken.

But if they have already gone to so much trouble I somehow seem to doubt it

And what about bike racks?

Does anyone know how new car clubs get started? Are they all still speculators moving into big cities, or has someone heard of viable rural ones yet?
See
https://www.co-wheels.org.uk/

It is a social enterprise.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yes, that would have been my preferred option and the one I would like to think that they would have taken.

But if they have already gone to so much trouble I somehow seem to doubt it

To generalise, two and two burglars are not after confrontation with the householder and will try to avoid it if they can.

It's not an offence of violence, so tends not to attract violent men.

Of course one never knows, but I think their first instinct would be to leg it to ensure they are free to steal other cars, of which there are plenty.

Something like carjacking would be different because the perpetrator must be prepared to take on the victim.

Even then, I bet a lot more women are carjacked than men.

For what it's worth, both these car theft offences were relatively rare until immobilisers became genuinely difficult to defeat, which meant to get the car away the thief needed the key.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thank heavens for proximity alarms, permiter sensors, a dog on a hair trigger, a shotgun (of no use as the ammo safe is in the loft, but they don't know that), and the lack of antique dealing, Barbour wearing, Volvo thieves.

The Polestar isn't such a worry. They can steal that, and then by the time they find its in valet mode and will only do 10MPH and needs a PIN to go any faster itll be too late...

Drago

Legendary Member
Hands-up if you were never driven to school.
Never been driven to or from school, and with only a single exception I have never driven my children to or from school.

The exception was when the school phoned to say that Mini D had a slight accident playing basketball and had seemingly broken some fingers - I collected her in the car and drove on to Hossy.

Hand on heartm that is the only school/autombile proximity incident I have ever instigated.

For people thinking about hiring cars and wanting racks for their bikes - there is the octopus suction rack. That sticks to any smooth surface and the reviews are very good.

I think this is one version.

https://www.seasucker.com/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Hands-up if you were never driven to school.
I was going to put my hand up but there was one occasion when for some reason my dad was going into work late, or had a day off or something, and he drove me vaguely near the school. It only happened once, to my memory.

I didn't have to walk as far as @HMS_Dave though. It was only a couple of miles.

yello

Walked to school most of the time, but sometimes cycled. I once, in my latter years at college, took my motorbike. Does that count me out?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Walked or cycled. Just checked and secondary school was 1.1 miles away. Perfect for walking or cycling distance as a kid. Any kid less than 3 miles away walked it cycled beyond that you qualified for the bus.

Top Bottom