Car-free living

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
Perhaps this is the wrong place for this, I suspect the people who fall under this category never even view this sub-forum!

Obviously not everyone is able to make the switch based on location or personal circumstances, but with the increase in family friendly e-cargo bikes, more people are considering it as an option, especially those living in sub-urban or urban areas who can access work easily too. I accept it's very easy for me - I can work from home, but even if that was not the case, I can also cycle the 9~ miles to work, and catch a train from the station that's a two minute walk away, which is thirty minutes from London and less than three hours from all my relatives.

Talk about your experiences living car free and how it's affected your lives when you made the change...or if like me you've never owned a car to begin with.

Not quite the same but I haven't needed a car to get to work for 25 years or so. Walking or cycling was fine for me. Now I've retired and have got a car - largely to take the dog places. If I didn't have the car I'd just do local walks all the time and I guess taxis to the vets ?

I am jealous of places with better bike provisions though. I've just come back from the gym - in the car - the road to it doesn't feel safe with crappy drivers around.

Drago

Legendary Member
I did briefly. Was doing so little mileage with the Smart that in autumn 2019 I gave it awsy to my niece as an 18th Birthday present. Shes disabled and had just passed her test with an automatic licence, so its perfect for her.

Having enjoyed 4 or 5 months car free life with very little impediment, my Stepmum passed away. While she didn't lesv3e it to me in her will her stated wishes to my Dad were that her car was to go to me as I didn't have a car and I would find it useful!!! So I went from nothing to 2 and a quarter tons of boron steel overnight.

I use it very little indeed, and family politics is such I don't want to seem ungrateful by selling it too soon.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've said elsewhere on CC that we are discussing ways to go without car ownership. We have very little need for a car, but do like the option to go to the coast without cycling a hilly 45 mile trip.

Our car is old and likely to require serious work to pass its next MOT in April, so that's our deadline; I am very reluctant to buy another depreciating, underused liability.

I need to have another chat with a couple of locally owned hire companies to see if we can work out a deal for, say, 10 days use per year. Shame there's no car club locally.

Drago

Legendary Member
A fair questuon.

Torque is unlimited in the regs and is much a function of gearing as anything else. As a crude example, my regular ebike with a fairly hefty 60 (NM) claimed moves my 19 stone with ease. A more regular weighted rider on a machine with a decent motor with either internal gearing or mid drive through the bikes gears has no trouble moving a hefty load as well.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Prompted by this thread I've called a couple of car hire companies just now.

They both told me that they can't get the new cars they require just now, and that the waiting times to hire are around 2 weeks.

Hopefully they will be able to be more flexible next spring.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Public transport is pretty poor where I live. I commute to work on the bike where possible. MrsF's and my commute takes at least 90 minutes on the train, and shanks' pony, for just 9 miles. Bike is 13 miles and an hour (offroad, 40 minutes by road), car 30 mins to an hour.

AlanW

Guru
On the 25th September we had our house broken into with the sole purpose of getting the car keys and having the car away. Since then we have been car less as we are a one car family.

Yes on occasions having no car is a right ball ache, like getting the weekly shop which to be fair we could get a home delivery, popping out to the local DIY store to get bits and pieces or going to visit the kids. But most of the time the car is a very expensive ornament sat on the drive depreciating money

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've been car-less for 184 days, first problem was shopping, sorted by home delivery at £4.50 – WHAT so bought a trailer for the trike, to break even I need to use the trailer 22 times, won't be long.
I have noticed that some out of town shopping areas have no place to lock up my trike like my local B&Q, be fail, next up two of my booster jab places again no where to lock said trike, not looking good.
I can't go fishing or use my kayak, what with Covid ect this has not been a problem, but could be if I decide not to get a car, but to be honest come the New Year I will buy another car, as fed up with just cycling in my area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom