Car free mountain biking anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you only want to do it once in a while - hire a vehicle! I went to Scotland with a friend last June and we hired a Ford Connect van for a week for £150. 2 adults, 2 MTBs, a dog plus luggage all fitted in, no problem.

Train seems an obvious answer, but I'm slightly apprehensive about the number of changes I might have to make and of getting turned away on services that don't allow booking for bikes.
Gatley into Peaks - only one change, and both trains are Northern Rail :thumbsup: (very bike friendly in my experience; and no reservations necessary).

I don't know your side of the Pennines - but this side, there's plenty of rail routes (even if I only use them for getting back at the end of the day). Worth trying?

OP
OP
amasidlover
Wow, this thread has moved fast...

I think realistically I'm not going to get the chance to go more than 3-5 times per year until my son's a bit more grown up, so I think hiring a van/car is going to be more cost effective than buying/insuring even the cheapest car. I'm not aware of any car clubs in South Manchester, but I could be wrong.

Gatley -> Peaks on the Buxton line is probably the cheapest option, but is a full day's trip (have done it recently to go to Buxton with my son).

Now, I've had a look at the sustrans site, but as far as I can see, most of the routes to Marple either require significant diversions or they are actually on road; but I might give some of the more significant diversions a try as a route to work (central stockport) once the weather improves a bit.

pshore

I often wonder where I can get the train to with my bike, normally when I'm planning a cycle tour holiday.

OpenCycleMap now has a nice Transport Layer which at least shows you where you can theoretically get to.

But yeah, persuade friends with cars they need to go mountain biking. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom