Car haters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
It's only a relatively miner event

Was watching a Horizon prog about sink holes.

It said that the US state of Florida is built on a crumbling lump of limestone.
Why is it crumbling?
Because that's what limestone does when just a tiny bit of acid rain gets to it.
Why is the rain acid?
Because of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Why is there a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere?
Because of cars.

So if cars get swallowed up by sink holes then they have only themselves to blame.
My sympathy for the car is exhausted.

tyred

Legendary Member
What would you put on the insurance claim form?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I've seen this happen in someone's patio. A few years back, my supervisor and I were on our way back from a site visit when we got asked to divert and take a look at a hole that had opened in a patio. It was 12ft across, 20ft deep and had swallowed a bike parked beside the window. It turned out to be an old well.

Yes yes, but was the bike ok??

Being the terribly mature chap that I am, I'd probably have shouted 'TIMBER!!'.

How dare you point out flaws, the plan's made of solid gold win, gravity would take you swiftly and safely to the earth's core, and then, er.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Was watching a Horizon prog about sink holes.

It said that the US state of Florida is built on a crumbling lump of limestone.
Why is it crumbling?
Because that's what limestone does when just a tiny bit of acid rain gets to it.
Why is the rain acid?
Because of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Why is there a lot of CO2 in the atmosphere?
Because of cars.

So if cars get swallowed up by sink holes then they have only themselves to blame.
My sympathy for the car is exhausted.

As well as cars its the burning of fossil fuels that create co2, so the next time you switch the light on or wait for the boiler to come on to warm the house we will all cheer as your house sinks into a big hole.

How dare you point out flaws, the plan's made of solid gold win, gravity would take you swiftly and safely to the earth's core, and then, er.
You would (in a loss-less scenario) come out at a stop at the surface.

However, due to the uneven density and the loss of energy due to air resistance etc you would not quite make the other side. You would then drop back again, this time making further from the surface and oscillate like a dampened spring until you eventually got stuck in the middle of the core.

Top Bottom