Car insurance opt-in/out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Received my renewal insurance for home and contents and despite researching on the net for a cheaper premium, I couldn't find one so am staying with my present one which is Rias. Renewal due on May 11th.

gbb

Legendary Member
You have no need to worry there; you’re not ending the policy early, you are not exercising the option to renew.

For anyone else about to do the same thing, be sure to avoid saying you want to cancel your insurance and make sure you are clear that you are declining their offer to renew. The former could lead to a cancellation charge.
True. I once phoned to advise I didnt want to renew next month and they I immediately replied...oh, there will be a cancellation fee Mr blah blah.
No, I'm not cancelling, I'm not renewing was my immediate reply.
Oh of course Mr blah blah

Chancers, on the chance some customers might not think quick enough.

Received my renewal through the post, for the Octavia today, & it's gone up!!

No claims by me, or against me

An increase from £240.67, to £256.24
Fully Comprehensive
(including business cover)
My excess is £250

Still that's less than £5.00 per week...
However, out of curiosity, I've had a look at other sites
(via 'Compare The Market' - for ease)
For me only, as Joanne has her own car/policy (Joanne is presently on my policy, as a named driver)

Cheapest was Hastings @ £205.37 (£645 excess!!!!!!)

Dearest was £1,107...…………...:eek:

My own (present) provider was listed at £296.43 (£600 excess!!!!)

I think I'll just renew:okay:

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
I have to say I find the auto renewal really convenient but as I get older and eventually have more time on my hands, I will strongly prefer to manually renew.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Received my renewal through the post, for the Octavia today, & it's gone up!!

No claims by me, or against me

An increase from £240.67, to £256.24
Fully Comprehensive
(including business cover)

Still that's less than £5.00 per week...
However, out of curiosity, I've had a look at other sites
(via 'Compare The Market' - for ease)
For me only, as Joanne has her own car/policy (Joanne is presently on my policy, as a named driver)

Cheapest was Hastings @ £205.37 (£645 excess!!!!!!)

Dearest was £1,107...…………...:eek:

My own (present) provider was listed at £296.43 (£600 excess!!!!)

I think I'll just renew:okay:
I would ring them anyway as it is often amazing how they can suddenly get a better deal or give a discount when you talk to them. That is assuming you can get through. The Coronavirus situation works in their favour, unfortunately.

icowden

Veteran
I have to say I find the auto renewal really convenient but as I get older and eventually have more time on my hands, I will strongly prefer to manually renew.
The problem is not the auto renewal, it's the auto-addition of £150 along with the auto-renewal. Most of these companies seem only able to offer the best deals to new customers for one year. Then they lose that customer to company B. Then Company B loses that customer back to Company A. If only there were some way to inspire loyalty...

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem is not the auto renewal, it's the auto-addition of £150 along with the auto-renewal. Most of these companies seem only able to offer the best deals to new customers for one year. Then they lose that customer to company B. Then Company B loses that customer back to Company A. If only there were some way to inspire loyalty...
Aviva Plus :okay:

byegad

Legendary Member
We used to insure the car in my name one year and my wife's the next. Each time with the other as a named driver. Last September it came due and having paid £320 for the previous year, they quoted me £430. My wife insured it with RAC insurance for £280. Lady Byegad was rushed into hospital with a brain abscess in mid November and was told no driving for a year, a DVLA requirement. So I rang RAC insurers who cancelled her policy forthwith offering a 30% refund on her premium, and offered to cover me and me alone . Did I want a quote, yes I did........

It was for........

Wait for it!!!!!!

£945. As I needed the car to visit my wife in hospital.........

I told them to stuff it and insured the car elsewhere for £340.

Needless to say I won't be using RAC insurance anytime in the next 500 years!

Drago

Legendary Member
I reckon the government should ban auto renewal. The whining "oh, but it prevents people driving uninsured" lobby will doubtless prevail, in which case auto renewal should only be permitted at the same price as the previous years policy, regardless of other factors. You can bet then that insurers will bust their nuts to contact you instead of keeping quiet in the hope of a lucrative auto renewal deal.

D

Deleted member 26715

Merry Go round has started again, wife's car insurance from Aviva is due 17th August, last year they tell me it was £190, this year £245, checked with the Meerkats LV are £185 how long did I think about being loyal.

Auto-renew helped me when I forgot to renew my wife’s car insurance - it was only after the renewal date had passed that I realised.

I‘m better organised now, but it got me out of a hole then.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I believe the insurance companies have to say, on the front page, the cost of last years premium, don't they?

I tend to swap every year, though John Lewis has given me a competitive price for the last couple of years.
I'll start looking around the start of August as my policy expires mid September.

Top Bottom