Car port ideas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I really need to keep my 1992 MX5 at home, but I've nowhere for it, I have a garage but it's full of motorbikes, crap and cycles and I've plenty of parking, but nothing under cover. My set up is very similar to the Ebay pic below, my bottom garden is separated from my top garden by a jointly owned access "track" for 5 houses. So beyond that track I have a single garage bordering my neighbours to the left and a good concrete base next to it where the garage was originally, that is bordered by my hedge to the right which adjoins another neighbours garage, closing the garage/hedge gap at the rear is large fence and gate to my top garden. It's an ideal spot for a double garage, but then I'd have to remove the hedge to access the top garden and it'd still be a squeeze. Any ideas?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
A double garage with a door at both ends, guy just down the road from us did just that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Down here these are very popular mainly to keep the sun off but if you don’t want an enclosed building might be an idea. I imagine something similar might be available in the UK.
43409A92-23A0-4CC4-A3D1-1C6096BDB7DF.jpeg

5B8DE7FE-FF92-4C95-94B0-445FD2A2524C.jpeg

Drago

Legendary Member
Build a lean-to garage on the side of the existing one? I've 2 garages, one in the back garden and one at the side of the house, and I think the side one was originally a fairly substantial car port that has been boxed in at a later time to make a garage. It's very solid, posts concreted in to the ground securely, but the materials and different building styles lead me to think it was originally a simple car port.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
A sketch plan or if not, a google map aerial view would help...

As Phaeton suggests: my dad built a lean to car port using concreted in vertical scaffold poles with 144x38 planed timber cross purlins at 1200mm centres with corrugated polycarbonate spanning between the purlins and a 6 foot panel fence to the boundary.... lasted for years.

If you don't want to break out the concrete base for the posts you can use pre-fab square base scaffold 'feet' bolted to the concrete.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
Wooden frame with either corrugated plastic sheets although you will have to replace every 5-7 years, or go for polycarbonate sheets I've just bought some from https://www.varicoltd.com/ you could also make the frame from scaffolding poles.

Thanks for that link, I had no idea they came in such large sizes. Way to go probably as I want to keep that open space, the concrete hardstanding next to my garage, it's where I do my bike & m/bike maintenance.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When fixing the profile sheet fix through the top of the profile, not the bottom, that way you won't get leaks as the rain runs down along the channels and through the fixing holes.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Down here these are very popular mainly to keep the sun off but if you don’t want an enclosed building might be an idea. I imagine something similar might be available in the UK.
View attachment 530687

View attachment 530688

@MarkF lives in Yorkshire, like myself. Not that it's ever wet or windy here :whistle: but I'd suggest one of those might take flight one day if used.

You could use an outdoor Carcoon: https://www.carcoon.com/carcoon-double-skin-outdoor
They've guidance for size although whilst there's listings for Maserati, Aston Martin, Dacia and Ferrari none are listed for a Mazda MX5.

View: https://youtu.be/di9_ZSoxLSM

D

Deleted member 26715

Thanks for that link, I had no idea they came in such large sizes. Way to go probably as I want to keep that open space, the concrete hardstanding next to my garage, it's where I do my bike & m/bike maintenance.
3x3 posts concreted into the base or buy the steel clamps & bolt them into the concrete such as these https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/browse/gate-fence-and-shed-hardware/fence-post-shoes then build a frame from there. I bought 4M sheets & then cut them in half well mine was 2.2M & 1.8M then joiners between the 2, you can get an F section for the edges. Our is a pitched roof so just bought a length of gutter for the pitch top, as ours is a seating area we have then fastened the roll out wicker screen up to the inside.

Top Bottom