Car rack for bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
looking for a rack for two adults and child bike. I would like a good one to last a long time but should I go rear rack or roof rack ?
Pro's/ Cons ?
Peoples preference ?
I don't want to have to cut rear bumper or make bid alterations as such which led me to the roof rack but unsure of stability.
If it makes any difference it will go on my car a 2011 Toyota avensis estate

Drago

Legendary Member
Wouldn't you prefer a bike rack for cars? Cycling round with a car on the rack might be a bit awkward.

On a serious note, I prefer roof mounting, but its not for the short of arm.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Wouldn't you prefer a bike rack for cars? Cycling round with a car on the rack might be a bit awkward.

On a serious note, I prefer roof mounting, but its not for the short of arm.

Oh very funny, bollocks I missed that in the title,
I'm 6ft so ok with roof rack but wife will struggle at 5' 4"

KneesUp

Guru
Tow bar mounted racks win for ease of loading and aerodynamics, but you need to have a towbar - and make sure the weight limit is enough for all the bikes and the rack. I have a maxxraxx one, which fits in the cubbyhole in the boot floor where the spare wheel isn't (along with jump leads, walking boots and all the other detritius that accumulates in family cars) The Thule ones are much more expensive and much larger to strore.

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
[QUOTE 4384733, member: 45"]www.roofbox.co.uk - not only are they great at customer service, they know what they're talking about and their website will answer your questions.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link, the Atera strada looks a good choice and roofbox.co.uk recommend a company local to me, Indespension trailers, for tow bar fitting so I think this may be the one unless anyone has had one and advises against ?

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
The maxxraxx I have is £100 less, and you can (if you wish, and your car has the nopseweight capacity) tow at the same time as using it - plus it takes up hardly any storage room. (It also tilts so you can get in the boot if you want, without taking the bikes off) You may find a local independent fitter is cheaper, if that matters.

gasinayr

Über Member
Check out Thule 9104 or 9103 which ever model suits your car
I have been using 9104 for a few years with no problems, clip on system no straps to worry about

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I got a towbar fitted specially for a bike carrier, turns out it's paid for itself as I've done dump runs/moved house and got a weekends overtime with a borrowed trailer.

The downside is I have a highly annoying beep when indicating/hazards as my electrics are wired with it, the upside is my paintwork isn't scored to bits and I can still open the boot with bikes onboard

Last edited:
OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
I have been using 9104 for a few years with no problems, clip on system no straps to worry about

Not suited to my car unfortunately. Local place will fit towbar, 7 pin electrics, cut bumper if required for £250. They will do a deal on bike rack if I buy from them at same time, Thule ( he pronounced it fullay but I figure that's the one) or a cheaper brand Norauto. The usefulness of a towbar and trailer option in future are the way to go I think

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I got a towbar fitted specially for a bike carrier, turns out it's paid for itself as I've done dump runs/moved house and got a weekends overtime with a borrowed trailer.

The downside is I have a highly annoying beep when indicating/hazards as my electrics are wired with it, the upside is my paintwork isn't scored to bits and I can still open the boot with bikes onboard
It should only beep (it has to by law) when there's something connected to the light socket. Is that the case?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I personally prefer roof racks, keeps the bikes out of harms way, and if you should get rear ended, at least the bikes will be OK.

The only issue you will have is the rack will need two of you to lift on, the Thule ones are quite heavy when you have a 4 bike system.

Julia9054

Guru
I have a Thule 9104 that I'm going to stick on eBay when i get back from France in 2 weeks time. Had to buy 9103 as we changed cars.
If anyone wants it, please get in touch.

Top Bottom