Car rack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone recommend me a decent car rack, fitting to the back of the car as opposed to one of those things on high. Preferably from somewhere mainstream like Argos and what other precautions, bits and bobs you need to keep the frame etc safe?

Thanks in advance.

screenman

Legendary Member
What sort of car? do you have a tow bar fitted?

I use a towbar mounted one, mostly as I needed a 4 bike capacity, but did consider some of the strap on 2 bike ones at one point. Theres a few reviewed on bikeradar with user comments.
Only thing I would say to watch is your number plate and lights not being obscured - I have to use a towboard. Not worth getting a fixed penalty for.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Cheers, I literally only need it for one bike but thanks anyway. Looks like I'll be riding to Keynsham on Sunday morning before the Sportive. Anything on the rear end is likely to obscure number plate and lights.

:wacko:

screenman

Legendary Member
I like all the Thule kit, never mount a boot rack on anything with a plastic tailgate (whichis why I asked what car) also I very much like the Thule towbar ( which is why yep! you get it) mounted one with built in lights and number plates. For one bike I am normally wheels out and pop in the back of the car type guy.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Talk to your Ford dealer first. I can't put any sort on the back of my Mondeo Estate (not enough strength under the bumper I think)

Oxo

Guru
Thule racks have adaptor kits which you buy to match your car. Also, depending on the model of your car, you can carry bikes high enough not to cover number plates and lights.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Silly question, but how the heck do you get bikes up on to the top of a car? Is it just a case of huffing and puffing and trying to lift them on to the roof?

Don't buy a bike that is a tonne ? I've always use roof mounted racks, and the latest Thule ones are great.

As a racer, I used front fork mounted racks for 3 bikes, fine.

When I got married and the kids 'turned up' this was a pain, as the bikes weren't quick release etc. etc, and you have other luggage. Got the Halfords Advanced racks (which are the Thule basic racks) and it's really easy for me to get them fixed on the roof of a family car - I'll add in my left shoulder is fubar'ed from a cycling accident - so pop bikes on rack, slide bike fore/aft, raise clamp and we are off. Also helps is I got nailed into getting my wife a great hybrid and a Trek tag-a-long for my daughter last year....

My son takes after me..ride/ride /ride.... my wife had a basic bike, and now loves the Pinnacle hybrid, my daughter, although can ride, likes the tag-a-long. Keep them happy.....

Top Bottom