Car Rear View Mirror Fell Off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

akb

Veteran
Any one have any idea of what I can use to stick the rear view mirror back onto the SWMBO windscreen? It seems to have previously been held on by a stick tape type material?

Thanks in advance, MOT is booked in next week and would rather sort it out myself before hand!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
foam sheets with realy strong doublesided glue.
Halfords may sell it, or you could find out where your nearest autoglass / windscreen centre is and see if they will sell you some, it cant cost much.

I bought two little adhesive strips in Halfords after mine fell off. I only used one. It stayed in place until I sold the car several years later.

I kept the other one somewhere safe, in case I ever needed another. I have no idea where that safe place was.

I remember only that they were only a quid or so (probably more now) and it was the best value I ever got from Halfords.

Brains

Legendary Member
You can buy little double sided sticky pads from your local petrol station in the car bit or most probably halfords. A mate of mine also used super glue!

superglue will keep it in place long enough to get through an MOT, but it won't sick the mirror to the screen for long.
Autoglass is the long term solution

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 2726004, member: 9609"]If you have a wing or door mirror on each side you don't need the centre one. Not sure they serve much use anyway.[/quote]They most certainly do! There is a cone of space immediately behind the car which is completely invisible from door mirrors.

Lance Jack

Über Member
They most certainly do! There is a cone of space immediately behind the car which is completely invisible from door mirrors.
I "think" the legal requirement is two mirrors, one o/s and either one in the middle or n/s. This covers small car type vans where the back window is filled in.
Remember, there is a legal requirement to have mirrors but judging by some of the driving I have seen you don't have to use them.

OP
OP
akb

akb

Veteran
Cheers for all the advice. Have just got back from Halfords with some double sided mirror tape. Shall see how we get on tonight!

If not, I'll get the STS drill out and make some holes.... :whistle:

ceejayh

Any one have any idea of what I can use to stick the rear view mirror back onto the SWMBO windscreen? It seems to have previously been held on by a stick tape type material?

Thanks in advance, MOT is booked in next week and would rather sort it out myself before hand!

How weird, exactly the same thing happened to my SWMBO's car yesterday. Fortunately for her it was literally just after I was bringing it back home for her from passing its MOT...unfortunately it was me who managed to pull it off while adjusting it :angry:.

Tried some all conquering 'no more nails' type stuff but SWMBO informed me via text this morning that it came off while she was driving to work...apparently she nearly sh@! herself!!!

Just bought some Loctite in the hope that that'll do the trick.

gavgav

Guru
I have a colleague who drives without an interior mirror (as it keeps falling off) and with only a drivers door mirror, because the other one keeps getting pulled off by drunks from the pub she lives next door to!! This is the same colleague that was driving to and from work for 6 months in the dark, on what she thought was headlights, until another colleague accepted a lift from her and pointed out that she was on sidelights only!! She had been on sidelights for 6 months............She also goes a certain way around town, because she won't turn right across traffic.

Suffice to say, I steer well clear of her in the car park and would never accept a lift from her! :eek:

Top Bottom