Car rental -what's the catch?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4653837, member: 45"]I'm getting quotes for car rental in Portugal in August. Easyjet say they guarantee to pay double the difference if you find a cheaper quote within 48 hours. For 10 days, Easyjet are quoting £540 for a Corsa. Alamo price for a Clio is £356.

How are they going to get out of their promise to beat the difference?[/QUOTE]
Ts & Cs not exactly the same. Perhaps Corsa or another similar vehicle for example and then it's not the same car say

pawl

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4653837, member: 45"]I'm getting quotes for car rental in Portugal in August. Easyjet say they guarantee to pay double the difference if you find a cheaper quote within 48 hours. For 10 days, Easyjet are quoting £540 for a Corsa. Alamo price for a Clio is £356.

Have a look at Zit Autos .unfortnate name.Have used them four times no probs.Fill all details e.g. Passport number etc. Insurances is included.
Your usually on your way in30 mins.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Both those prices seem expensive. Things to watch out for is the pre-paying of fuel and rediculous damage waivers that they claim are compulsory. For a couple of quid a day a third party company will cover the huge excesses the hire company want to force on you.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Have they asked for the one time code from DVLA to prove your licence is kosher?

tony111

Veteran
Have they asked for the one time code from DVLA to prove your licence is kosher?
I've taken the trouble to get one off their website for our last 3 trips to Florida and never needed it. They just look at the photo licence and paper copy every time.

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4654053, member: 45"]Got the Alamo price down to £330 through arguscarhire....[/QUOTE]
Can you track through quidco for a few pounds cashback? :smile:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I haven't checked it but both look very expensive to me regardless of the offer.

Have a look at www.rentalcars.com

Last summer I hired a Chrysler Countryman - 6 seater and every bell and whistle imaginable- for £1500/14 days in Iceland- not the cheapest place on earth.

I've used Rental Cars for several years and find they are always the cheapest. They take responsibility for your hire and, BIG plus for me, they are based in Manchester and when you call up you get real people - immediately. I'm a big fan.

Sandra6

Veteran
To get a price match it has to be the same product on the same terms, so one car is an astra the other is a clio, they don't have to match it as they are both different cars.

vickster

Legendary Member
To get a price match it has to be the same product on the same terms, so one car is an astra the other is a clio, they don't have to match it as they are both different cars.
I'd say so too and as you can't guarantee exactly which car you might actually get, it's a punt to go with a supplier based on getting some cashback. Especially if there's a big price differential and they are not your preferred company

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4653837, member: 45"]How are they going to get out of their promise to beat the difference?[/QUOTE]
Maybe they'll beat the headline price and then do some of http://www.travelsupermarket.com/blog/7-car-hire-ripoffs-avoid/ or http://www.scambusters.org/carrental.html

Sometimes people suggest keeping a smaller (or no) car by hiring when you need to carry unusually large loads, but some hire companies are deeply unpleasant to deal with. I try to avoid them and leave booking hires to people who do it more often, but even they get caught out by a new scam occasionally. :angry:

Top Bottom