Car roof cycle carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kies

I have finally convinced myself i need one.
Will buy 2nd hand (ebay) roof bars for the car and the Thule 931 pro carrier.
Question: what is a safe speed with my road bike mounted?

Any good or bad motorway experiences?

I'm hoping i don't have to trundle along at 60mph

Gary E

Veteran
I have a couple of Thule 591s. I think there is a maximum speed limit quoted in the instructions but to be honest on long trips I always seem to forget the bikes are there and so just drive normally. After hundreds (maybe even thousands) of miles, I've never had the slightest problem.

OP
OP
K

Kies

What is the difference between the freeride and pro (apart from price)?

My intended bikes will be the road and road hybrid

Edit: i am looking at the standard squarish roof bars,will these Thule carriers fit standard and aero bars?

OP
OP
K

Kies

Thanks Ffeog - most helpful

D

Deleted member 23692

Nay probs.

If you're buying all Thule kit, then check out their 'one key' system, where you can order what you want and have them supplied with all the same lock/key.

Gary E

Veteran
This is what I have and I can't speak highly enough of them. Model number is 591.
Thule_591.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kies

I was hoping to save a bit of money by buying 2nd hand roof bars (original) off Ebay and then buy a brand new cycle carrier. My cycling buddy is also buying a carrier,so between us we have two if i were to take bike(s) on holiday etc

Hadn't thought about carrier security before. The car will be left unattended when out riding obviously .... Sometimes in a semi rural area

Gary E

Veteran
+1 for Ffoeg's suggestion. I bought mine separably and so have 3 different keys (1 for the 4 lock points that lock the bars to the car and 1 each for the 2 racks I use). I always seem to get the right key on the third attempt :cursing:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Halfords bars and halfords carriers.... good advice from Halfords staff shock horror! When I bought them, was going for Thule, but shop guy told me they were made by Thule, for Halfords, and were the same item, except price and branding. Can't remember the particular models, but had them for a few years now, no probs including at speed (70, of course).

D

Deleted member 23692

I've got Thule bar and carriers.

I got the got the bars and feet off ebay (both from different sellers) and bought the carriers from roofbox.co.uk. So when ordering the carriers I just specified therm to have the same locks as the feet (the number is on them). So now the bars lock to the car, the carriers lock to the bars and the bikes lock in the carriers.. all with one key (and shed loads of spares!!!). It's as secure as you're gonna get, but anyone really determined will still nick them.

It might be worth you and your mate buying at the same time to get the same key... assuming you trust each other ;)

Top Bottom