Car roof cycle carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gary E

Veteran
Just one note of caution. I'm happy to leave my bikes locked to the car for short periods when I'm away from home but I wouldn't do it at home.

Here's the reason

Basically anyone can read the number on your locks and order a key for £3.45 :ohmy:

Not only can they then nick your bikes, they can have the bars and carriers away too!

Peteaud

Veteran
Halfords bars and halfords carriers.... good advice from Halfords staff shock horror! When I bought them, was going for Thule, but shop guy told me they were made by Thule, for Halfords, and were the same item, except price and branding. Can't remember the particular models, but had them for a few years now, no probs including at speed (70, of course).

I have the Halfords pro set and to be fair they have been 100% fantastic. Easy on and off and lockable, or boltable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got 4 Halfords Advanced which are the 531 Thule. Fell lucky enough to get 4 locks that matched so use these to secure the bikes.

As for speed, easy do 80 with four bikes on the roof, BUT your fuel economy will take a hammering. I tend to drop the speed to 70 or 60 with the racks fully loaded.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just one note of caution. I'm happy to leave my bikes locked to the car for short periods when I'm away from home but I wouldn't do it at home.

Here's the reason

Basically anyone can read the number on your locks and order a key for £3.45 :ohmy:

Not only can they then nick your bikes, they can have the bars and carriers away too!

Good advice. Think the rack will be coming off when not in use, last two years left it on over summer, but it does advertise you have bikes. Bloody heavy with 4 racks, two person job.

D

Deleted member 23692

An additional thought whilst out on my Saturday ride... If you get any Thule bars carriers 2nd hand, they have a superb customer service and will supply pretty much any part you're after. So don't worry if there are bits missing - it's easily sorted. They used to be FOC, but asked that you make a donation to a charity of their choosing, but now they are having to make a small charge for the bits.

pauldavid

Veteran
I have finally convinced myself i need one.
Will buy 2nd hand (ebay) roof bars for the car and the Thule 931 pro carrier.
Question: what is a safe speed with my road bike mounted?

Any good or bad motorway experiences?

I'm hoping i don't have to trundle along at 60mph

I've got 4 mont blanc roof bar mount carriers I'm selling if your interested, all in original boxes, 2 keys and little use.

Drop me a message if you think they may be of use and I'll send you some pic's

+1 for Anne's comment.

A friend of mine comprehensively messed up his bike and his roofrack by driving into a height barriered car park, having forgotten that he had his bike on top of the car........

I've got two old 531's (15 years old now) and two 591's permanently attached. the 591's are a lot easier to use but they are bulkier too. Four wouldn't quite fit but I can get two 531's on were I might not get two 591's. So measure your roofbars carefully.

Speed is only an issue with fuel consumption. Somewhere on the Thule website was a rally car with two 591's on top going around a course. It did eventually break but it took a while.

D

Deleted member 23692

You just develop an involuntary flinch when passing under 'surprise' bridges and barriers :smile:

OP
OP
K

Kies

I've got two old 531's (15 years old now) and two 591's permanently attached. the 591's are a lot easier to use but they are bulkier too. Four wouldn't quite fit but I can get two 531's on were I might not get two 591's. So measure your roofbars carefully.

Speed is only an issue with fuel consumption. Somewhere on the Thule website was a rally car with two 591's on top going around a course. It did eventually break but it took a while.

Excellent info re size of carriers. Thanks

Top Bottom