Car roof cycle carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Can anyone recommend me a roof bar system ?

I own a 2005 VW Golf & require to fit a roofbox on one side & a single bike carrier on the other.
Due to an increasing family our boot is now full of kiddies stuff :wacko:

OP
OP
K

Kies

You just develop an involuntary flinch when passing under 'surprise' bridges and barriers :smile:

Where do you people live?????
We in laandun have these things called trucks ... So cars with bikes are good to go ;)

Excellent info re size of carriers. Thanks
Further to this, I recall I had some pictures which I took to illustrate for a similar thread.

You can see below my car has four carriers on the roof but quite a narrow roofline. As such the bars stick out either side and I have used that to mount the outside carriers outside of the foot (see 2nd picture). This works for the 531's but the 591 mount isn't wide enough to go either side of the foot, though is wider overall once the ratchet mechanism is included. I'd be pushing it to mount 4 inside of the rails, space for bikes would be getting pretty tight and would depend on height of bars and making sure saddles were dropped etc... Nothing insurmountable but keep it all under consideration whichever options you go for.

2013-02-25%252014.36.45.jpg

2013-02-25%252014.31.51.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same issue as Crackle - the outer two racks are at the widest point, both fitted each side of the 'leg'. Two person job to fit though = heavy.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Can anyone recommend me a roof bar system ?

I own a 2005 VW Golf & require to fit a roofbox on one side & a single bike carrier on the other.
Due to an increasing family our boot is now full of kiddies stuff :wacko:

Thule is def. the market leader.
Couldn't tell you what "feet" you need for your car, but you can work that on roofbox.co.uk
AFAIK you can get a slightly longer than normal set of bars to give you a bit more width for multiple items.

We've just invested in new feet and a set of "wing" bars so as to fit already-owned roofbox on to the "new" (2004 vintage) car.
Whether the caimed aerodynamic benefit of the wing bar is worth the extra cost over the regular bar I'm not sure, but 5 up and heavily loaded in both boot and top box we still returned 40mpg on recent trip to Alps and back.... which is only about 5 mpg less than I can do on a long trip solo at similar speeds and with no gubbins on the top.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You mean that hooks under the bars and is locked one side, as one side slots in.

OP
OP
K

Kies

I have zeroed in on used Thule roof bars for my car - the cost of 2nd hand 591 pro rode carriers isn't that much cheaper than web stockist so we have decided to buy a brand new pair.
This roof bar thing has opened up all sorts of possibilities .... Bike and a roof box could carry all my bike kit (and then some), i may never have to sit bored out of my mind at the inlaws over a weekend ..... Where is Kies .... OUT RIDING NEW PLACES!!!!

if anyone is after some of the Thule locking knobs, PM me. I have 4 unused all on the same key... (We needed 9, but turned out that 2 of the existing knobs are a different size, so we just have the locks towbar to car & the locks holding the bikes as different keys). The locking knobs are all the same.
If we are leaving the bikes of the rack, we also tend to add the usual bike locks when we stop at a service station. (don't leave them on whilst in transit because there is the potential for them to rub up & down on the bike frame...and don't ask me how I know...:whistle: )

Top Bottom