Car-tastrophy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I've had Volvo's for years, either Co car or private owned. The V70R (2005) despite being reasonably high tech was very reliable. I only sold it on at 10 years old (for a 2012 V60) as the adaptive suspension had limped through 2 MOT's with a slight weep and didn't want a £2.5k bill to replace it.

before that I ran a 1997 V90, from about 2001/02 to 2010/11ish. it had close to 200k miles on the clock when I sold it on to volvo mechanic, for whom replacing the cyclinder head gasket wasn't a major issue worth more than the car. Big lazy straight 6 non-turbo engine was absolutely trouble free, although not exactly frugal on petrol!

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
how many miles or kilometers are on that turbo?

It's done just shy of 80,000 miles. Slightly more than average for the age of car, but nothing ridiculous.

I had an update this afternoon, the price has increased as theyve had to drop the engine. To add insult to injury they noticed damage to one of my tyres which will also need replacing - price is now sitting at £2.9k :sad:

It's done just shy of 80,000 miles. Slightly more than average for the age of car, but nothing ridiculous.
I had an update this afternoon, the price has increased as theyve had to drop the engine. To add insult to injury they noticed damage to one of my tyres which will also need replacing - price is now sitting at £2.9k :sad:
I wonder if you had that much expense, from physical damage, such as from an accident, if your insurance company would "total" it. sounds like you are going ahead w/ the repair(s) so suggesting trading it for something else is out of the question? is it paid for? if you don't mind me asking. we just traded our Daughter's car due to impending engine damage & an invitation to join a class action lawsuit against Hyundai. I brought it to the dealer that sold it to us 1.5 yrs ago, was honest about why & asked him what else he had, that wasn't a Hyundai there was no way I was going to deal w/ 5 months of stress dealing with a fight to replace the engine w/ another that's also going to have the same issue

D

Deleted member 1258

I wonder if you had that much expense, from physical damage, such as from an accident, if your insurance company would "total" it. sounds like you are going ahead w/ the repair(s) so suggesting trading it for something else is out of the question? is it paid for? if you don't mind me asking. we just traded our Daughter's car due to impending engine damage & an invitation to join a class action lawsuit against Hyundai. I brought it to the dealer that sold it to us 1.5 yrs ago, was honest about why & asked him what else he had, that wasn't a Hyundai there was no way I was going to deal w/ 5 months of stress dealing with a fight to replace the engine w/ another that's also going to have the same issue

Whats the problem with Hyundai?

Whats the problem with Hyundai?
we loved the car & it drove beautifully. it's not all Hundai's, just the ones w/ that particular engine. after getting the letter to join the class action lawsuit, reading about other owners' experiences on the Hyundai forums, & talking to the service manager at the local dealer, I decided I was done w/ it. I had been worried about the engine noise this cold winter, which mostly went away after warming the engine

here's an excerpt from
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/hyundai-elantra-lawsuit-settlement-reached-engines.shtml

The Hyundai Elantra class action lawsuit alleges the piston assemblies cause knocking and ticking noises that eventually lead to engine block damage, oil sludge and engine failure. Those ticking sounds are also known as piston slap which occurs when there is too much of a gap between the piston and the outer cylinder.

The plaintiffs claim piston slap typically occurs when the engine is cold due to a piston head that isn't secured in the cylinder. This allows the piston edges to collide with the cylinder wall.

According to the proposed Elantra lawsuit settlement, an eligible customer might receive an extended powertrain warranty based on where the car was registered.

The warranty extension covers the short block assembly which includes the engine block, crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons, but only if the damage is accompanied by a piston slap noise in the upper end of the engine.

This typically occurs in cold weather, as distinguished from other engine noises from the bearings, timing chain, valve train and/or squealing belts.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
It's the gift that keeps on giving... EGR cooler is fubarred now as well as the adjoining pipework, latest bill stands at £3.5k.

The cars only worth about £13k so the repair is now about 25% of its value. Gutted.

I've sent an email to the MD of the dealer network. Will see what he says. It might help that we bought a new Arteon from them in August and I have a test drive booked in an ID.4 as soon as the situation allows but I'm not confident it'll do any good. Oh well, these things are sent to test us! :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I've had a Hyundai, a Getz, it weren't a bad motor, rot got it in the end, it was about 12 years old.
Ive never broken my neck. That doesn't mean that thousands of other people haven't broken theirs, or that I might do so one day in the future.

D

Deleted member 1258

Just because your little Hyundai was ok doesn't mean everyone elses is - a sample of 1 will always give a correlation of 1.

And the Hyundai owners who are happy with their cars? If you don't like the make just say so.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's the gift that keeps on giving... EGR cooler is fubarred now as well as the adjoining pipework, latest bill stands at £3.5k.

The cars only worth about £13k so the repair is now about 25% of its value. Gutted.

I've sent an email to the MD of the dealer network. Will see what he says. It might help that we bought a new Arteon from them in August and I have a test drive booked in an ID.4 as soon as the situation allows but I'm not confident it'll do any good. Oh well, these things are sent to test us! :laugh:
It might be worth trying the CEO of VW. I have a problem with rust around the boot handle of a golf and the dealer wanted nothing to do with it. One email to the CEO pointing out the design flaws got the whole boot body panel replaced free of charge.

Drago

Legendary Member
And the Hyundai owners who are happy with their cars? If you don't like the make just say so.
I'm ambivalent. I will say though that we had a Kia Sportabe, Kia being a different division of the same firm, the current model, and it was hateful. Just because your little car has been brilliant was no consolation to us when the clutch exploded at 900 miles. Then it needed new trajling arm bushes at 20,000 miles. Then it started developing an intermitted hesitation that the dealer couldn't sort, but by then we'd decided to get rid anyway.

Thats why comments like, "Ive had my Ford Tippex for 999 years and its done e=mc2 miles, and I've not even had to top up the screenwash" bring nothing to the party. It doesn't change the poor unfortunate OP's experience, and isn't even relevant to his situation.

Your Hyndai might be lovely. But that doesn't automatically mean someone elses is lovely, or that your next one will be. Thus it is a meaningless observation, though doubtless, of course, trotted out with good intent.

Top Bottom