Car-tastrophy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
@JhnBssll sorry to hear the problems you have had, and I hope you have better luck next time, with whatever you choose.
I find it a little disappointing that this car may end up being one of those which is continually sold on, with ongoing issues, as it may well do.
Best of luck!

@gbb couldn’t agree more about bog standard Astra’s. Boring cars to drive but very comfortable with the large volume tyres.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
@JhnBssll sorry to hear the problems you have had, and I hope you have better luck next time, with whatever you choose.
I find it a little disappointing that this car may end up being one of those which is continually sold on, with ongoing issues, as it may well do.
Best of luck!

Thanks, it is shame I agree. By selling it within the trade the likelihood is the next owner will get a warranty - lets just hope all the problems are ironed out before it expires :wacko: I can happily say that every repair carried out on it during my ownership was done properly with original parts so fingers crossed it won't cause the next owner so much hassle. To be honest I'll be glad to be shot of it - it's getting dropped off tomorrow morning then they'll spend a couple of days prepping it before putting it up on their inter-dealer auction system. I've asked for a reserve to be put on it and all being well I'll get the money from a sale by the middle of next week.

I'm now looking at cheap vans :laugh:

@gbb couldn’t agree more about bog standard Astra’s. Boring cars to drive but very comfortable with the large volume tyres.

I owned an Astra SXi for several years until I got the first Passat - I passed the Astra on to my wife who promptly wrote it off :laugh: It was a great car :okay:

@JhnBssll thats why I said bog standard. The SXI’s came in bonkers 1.8 to 2.0 versions as well as more sane versions in 1.4 and 1.6. The larger engines were mad cars. Mine was a 1.6 petrol.

mustang1

Guru
I had a VW Polo a long time ago. The accelerator would become hesitant around 3 or 4000 rpm. The solution was a software update which made things work fine for a few weeks then the hesitant throttle problem starred again.

Done software update over a could of months then just logged with it for a couple of years and traded it in.

Nice looking car with great build quality. I'd like to try another VW but so far have stayed away.

That's the only problem I've ever had on any car.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I dropped it off at the dealer first thing this morning. Hopefully the next contact I get will be to tell me it has sold :laugh:

I'm now looking at cheap vans, quite fancy a long wheelbase transit connect :whistle:

Pretty sure my Renault Grand Scenic Diesel isn't.

1.5 TDI diesel?

Indeed - every Gen of Grand Scenic sports turbo'd diesel engines as far as I can see, back to first Gen in 2003

I’ve got a 2015 one. Fab engine and powerful engine but let down by a heavy big carcass.Previous to a scenic I had a megane with the same engine and it was a pocket rocket.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Get something Japanese and not this German rubbish.:whistle:
My younger son would say the opposite.
He had company cars and his best was a VW and the worst a Japanese pickup which spent more time on recovery vehicles than anywhere else. The engine cut out suddenly on motorways several times and the main dealer could not find anything wrong with it. It was a danger to drive and he simply handed it back to the dealer as it was contact hire and refused to have anything more to do with it. Since it was not his vehicle it only cost a lot of inconvenience and latterly danger to him.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Well, I live and learn. Not sure what the "turbo" really does as it's hardly a rocket off the line, more a sturdy tug boat.
Makes a small engine feel bigger in this application, I'd say - turbocharging doesn't always = high performance. It can also be a way (and often is, nowadays) of improving economy figures, at least for eco-testing purposes anyway.

Top Bottom