Car Tech Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The alternator warning light came on this morning on my '02 Almera. I drove about four miles home and parked up. The car has started on the button a couple of times since and putting a multi meter across the battery terminals I am getting a steady 12.21 volts, which is puzzling as I would have expected it to die fairly quickly. Do the lights ever play up when the alternator is still ok, or is it farked?

Is the belt OK? Even a flattish battery will still indicate 12 volts or so.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Is the belt OK? Even a flattish battery will still indicate 12 volts or so.
Belts ok, first thing I checked. Four starts now and still crisp, with the lights on and the blower on full I get a reading of 11.88 volts. The old banger isn't really worth a new alternator as the front tyres are also due replacement and the ignition key has been stuck in the barrel for a while, not really a problem as it's parked on the drive and the nature of my job means the heap has secure parking, plus I can still lock it.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Had a similar thing on my Focus and it was the water pump (bearings) knackered - the alternator just couldn't work out what was going wrong so threw up errors to let me know there was something not right.

Outlaw Hobbs

Check the voltage with engine running, then switch on some high demanding units e.g. headlights and screen demister. The voltage should stay at 13 to 14; if it drops right off the yes the alternator is dead or dying. Don't bother with a refurbished alternator, shop around at good online motor factors and buy a brand new OEM unit. Install it yourself or get a friend to do it for you.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Been confirmed by a mechanic mate as the alternator. The MoT is due on Tuesday and he is going to give it a good inspection to see if it will pass. If it won't without a lot of expense I'll say goodbye to it, otherwise a replacement alternator. The car is on an '02 plate and I've had it for three faultless years so it owes me nothing if I have to scrap it.

DRM

Guru
Surely the alternator can be refurbed, usually it’ll need replacement carbon bushes, or voltage regulator, or for what it’s worth,both,might not be that expensive a fix

Top Bottom