Car Tech Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Remember when the badges used to read "Nissan by Datsun"?

Drago

Legendary Member
Nope, and I'm older then thee !
I remember it well, and I'm a 51 year old stripling!

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Good cars Nissan's
If it packed up tomorrow it would be the best used car I've ever owned (And better than one or two new ones I owned too). £700 three years ago, sailed through all the MoTs and in the 40k I've put on it all I've needed to replace before now was a clutch slave cylinder, consumables aside.

It's the first Japanese car I've owned, God knows why I waited so long as all the Jap bikes I've had proved that they know how to put stuff together.

tyred

Legendary Member
I did once have a case on a 1970s Ford Tractor with a Lucas 17ACR alternator where the charge light stayed lit but the alternator continued to charge the battery (verified by a multimeter). The owner had asked me to investigate as he obviously saw the light but I could offer no explanation. The alternator regulator pack did die about a month later so I guess it was an early warning.

Generally speaking, on most alternators it is easy enough and cheap enough to replace the brushes/regulator which should restore service in most cases for a few notes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The 180B was a large car for the time, pretty much Ford Grandad size. I can remember the estates well, but not sure if there was a saloon.

The Cherry was the small car in the range, some were badged 100A.

Next size up was the Sunny 120Y.

The 180B was a lot bigger, not sure if there was a model between it and the 120Y.

It was available in saloon and estate, and was the forerunner of the Datsun, later Nissan, Bluebird.

The Bluebird, if I recall, was the first car to be produced at Nissan's plant in Sunderland.

Speaking of the plant, I thought of a headline for the announcement it was closing for the virus.

Nissan Dormant.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I thought that was an urban legend, and Lexus was just a suitably unique English-sounding word made up by a committee.

I had a succession of Nissan Micras; the K10 (original boxy one) was basic but very well made. The K11 ("bowler hat" one) wasn't quite as well made but the 1.3 could spin its wheels in third gear on a wet road - it was somewhat more powerful than Nissan claimed! The K12 was pants - badly made and underpowered (more specifically, vastly overweight). I changed to Mazdas after that.

DRM

Guru
I thought that was an urban legend, and Lexus was just a suitably unique English-sounding word made up by a committee.

I had a succession of Nissan Micras; the K10 (original boxy one) was basic but very well made. The K11 ("bowler hat" one) wasn't quite as well made but the 1.3 could spin its wheels in third gear on a wet road - it was somewhat more powerful than Nissan claimed! The K12 was pants - badly made and underpowered (more specifically, vastly overweight). I changed to Mazdas after that.
No not urban legend, it’s kosher 👍

Top Bottom