Car Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

Piemaster said:
do seem to be quieter than the mixture that was on before (despite Auto Express rating them as noisy)

No, trust me, they are. Don't get me wrong, they're not deafening, but you can hear more road noise than you can with...just about any other tyre I've used actually! ;0) Can't win em all.

Mr Pig said:
No, trust me, they are. Don't get me wrong, they're not deafening, but you can hear more road noise than you can with...just about any other tyre I've used actually! ;0) Can't win em all.

The old tyres may have been noisy due to the afore mentioned flat spots on the fronts as I'm fairly sure the car is now quieter. They weren't 50p piece bad by any means but it was noticeable.

Mr Pig

I've got a bloke coming on Thursday evening to fit three new tyres on one of our cars.

I'd put the odd tyre on the back. These days I always fit new tyres in pairs as odd tyres, or unevenly worn ones, can behave quite differently. I remember having odd tyres on the front of my car years ago and under heavy braking it was really noticeable, you could feel the car pull to one side.

How do you get multiple flat spots of your tyres? Just out of interest? I'm not sure, but I don't recall ever having a flat spot on a tyre. Except when I was a kid and did skids on my bike.

GrasB

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
I'd put the odd tyre on the back. These days I always fit new tyres in pairs as odd tyres, or unevenly worn ones, can behave quite differently. I remember having odd tyres on the front of my car years ago and under heavy braking it was really noticeable, you could feel the car pull to one side.

I'd put the new ones on the front for about 500 miles to scrub in then put them on the back... the last thing an untrained drivers wants is the front of the car with better grip than the back.

Mr Pig said:
How do you get multiple flat spots of your tyres? Just out of interest? I'm not sure, but I don't recall ever having a flat spot on a tyre. Except when I was a kid and did skids on my bike.
Flat spotting car tyres takes some doing; 100-0mph with the fronts lockup barely put a noticeable flatspot on the tyre!

Mr Pig said:
No, Piemaster. Bit of a boy racer methinks ;0)

Me? No. I'll see if Mrs. Pm has anything to say on the subject. ;)

Dunno about the flat spots really but suspect it may have as much to do with the tyre quality. The car came with them and I suspect they were the cheapest thing that would fit at the last change. Can't recall what make they were but definitely not a brand I recognise.
The Sportracs may well be noisy compared to other brands, BUT they are quieter than what came off which says something as well. I've not had anything else on the Alfa to compare them to though so I'll take Mr.P's word for it.

GrasB

Veteran
Hey! Who are you calling an untrained driver?
I always assume that any driver has had no additional driver training (advanced driving or car handling training) beyond that of the standard driving test. That way I'm not likely to be disappointed by the 'lack' of driving knowledge or car control skills.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If you think you have 'flat spots' on your tyres I would wonder about how they have been rotated, as in moved from corner to corner on the car not round and round.

Some radial tyres, certainly in the past, were rotated for wear by moving from front to back axle but on the same side as they didn't like being run backwards after they have been bedded in forwards for a few thousand miles. They tended to get a bit 'lumpy'.
Any unidirectional tyres should always be run in the direction indicated

Oooh, I've just thought. Of course you can get flat spots. It's from cars sitting around for a long period of time without the wheels moving. Not uncommon with caravans.

Sounds like my car. Wife / kids walk to school so during term time doesn't get used much. Inside front regularly needed re-inflating which can't help much either.

Mr Pig

Years ago a guy at work looked out the back and exclaimed "Oh, my tyre's flat".

I said "Try rolling it forward a bit, it looks like it's only flat at the bottom".

He started walking towards the car and would have done it had we not told him we were winding him up! That is thick!

Same guy had booked the car, same car, into a garage for them to investigate a clunking sound that was worrying him. I sugested he take me for a run in the car to see if I could identify the clunk and safe him the cost. As we drove of, sure enough, I could hear the offending cluck. I saved him a trip to the garage by reaching under the passenger seat and removing the empty Iron Bru bottle!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I went out briefly with a stunning girl who drove a Ford Anglia. The first time we drove down the road I realised that one of her tyres was goung bump bump bump so I told her to stop and jumped out for a look. Sure enough, one of the tyres had a massive lump in it like a duck's egg. The tyre itself was obviously heavily over-inflated and looked ready to burst, it was straining at the seams almost. I asked her if she had checked the pressure last time she pumped it up and she replied: "Oh no, I just put some air in my tyres once a week!"

Top Bottom