Car Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes car not bike!

We need to replace the two front tyres on our Citroen C4 Picasso Grand. Obviously we want safe tyres but I don't have a clue what the best makes tyres are. As well as that, I don't want to get done. Our dealer quoted over £200 to replace them, which I am sure is way over the top.

So any recommendations for where to go and what makes of tyres to look for? I want to get them replaced ASAP, especially with the weather as it is.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What size....?

My tyres range from £100-£150 each.....

Currently have Barums ZR rated ones (which are Continental) - very good £100 each...

Gromit

Über Member
Go to kwick fit, we had a problem with my tire after hitting a big pot hole in Oxford last week. There was nothing wrong with the tire, but the rim needed cleaning up because it wasn't sealing correctly, hence the flat tire. They charge us £18 which was nothing really.

They have deals on tires starting from £23 each, plus balancing etc. Best to go to them.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

fossyant said:
What size....?

My tyres range from £100-£150 each.....

Currently have Barums ZR rated ones (which are Continental) - very good £100 each...

Not sure. The owner manual is in the car and it's far too cold to go outside!;)

I'll pop out in the morning to check, I just wondered if there were any general recommendations.

bauldbairn

Try tyreshopper / black circles or e-tyres. Pick a brand and use the net to find the cheapest price.

Tyreshopper - are part of National tyres(I think), I got a set of Avon tyres from them for my Honda Civic for exactly half the price of walking into NT direct. They also do Barum(Continentals budget brand).

E-tyres will fit at your house/work but are starting to get expensive.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Got 2 decent tyres at ATS when it started snowing middle range tyres (made by dunlop but not dunlop written on them) for £130.00 all in (inc fitting and balancing. Give them a call I always use them as first choice and National Tyres second choice wouldnt use Kwikfit if they paid me.

so £200 at dealer isn't far over the top - and the tyres might even match the ones on the back.

Mr Pig

Tyres can seem expensive but they are one of the most important parts on your car. That isn't to say that you need to buy the most expensive but you may regret buying cheap ones.

Everything about tyre performance is a compromise. If they use a harder compound they'll last longer but won't grip as well. If the side wall is stiffer they'll handle more sharply but you'll get more road noise. What you need to decide is what characteristics matter to you the most and buy tyres that are good at them. As far as I'm concerned only one matters above all others, safety.

In safety terms one factor matters more than any other. Wet grip. The difference between the best tyres and the worst tyres in the dry is surprisingly little, only a few percent, but the difference in wet grip is huge. Stopping distances at thirty are separated by multiple car lengths. Think about that!

But it's not all about stopping distances, cars go around corners too so lateral grip matters. Some tyres are good in a straight line, not so good sideways.

After much digging and years of experience the strongest recommendation I can make is for a Dutch tyre, the Vredestein Sportrac3 LINK There are other good tyres, hard to go wrong with Continental or Goodyear, but I've used this tyre and its predecessor for many years and never found it wanting.

The first time you drive the Sportrac through standing water you'll be amazed at the way those big groves shift it out of the way and keep you planted, so yes, it's good at stopping in the wet, but passive safety is important too. It is called 'Sport' because it has quite a stiff side wall so it makes more noise than a typical 'touring' tyre, like the Bridgstone Turanza ER30, but you can 'feel' the road much better. Being able to feel exactly how much grip you have is far better than thinking everything is fine right up until the tyres break away!

Cheaper than the dealer's sugestion too but you'll need to get them ordered in, few fitters carry them. The first time I got them the guy who owned the fitters said you me 'They're fu***** good tyres mate. Most of the people who come in here just ask for the cheapest or for what's already on the car but they're really good."

Don't go to Thick Fit etc. Apart from the fact they they're run by idiot children why try to rob you, they are never the cheapest. Overheads are too high. Find a local firm who'd been around for years and live off their reputation, every town has them. They'll be cheaper and you'll get better service.

As I say, lots of good tyres out there, but I can say that if you go for the Sportrac you'll have a safe tyre at a good price.

GrasB

Veteran
Mr Pig said:
But it's not all about stopping distances, cars go around corners too so lateral grip matters. Some tyres are good in a straight line, not so good sideways.

After much digging and years of experience the strongest recommendation I can make is for a Dutch tyre, the Vredestein Sportrac3 LINK There are other good tyres, hard to go wrong with Continental or Goodyear, but I've used this tyre and its predecessor for many years and never found it wanting.
+1 for Vredestein as a manufacture. I use Ultrac Sessanta on the Alfa & they are very good, even in the worst conditions they still manage to keep the Alfa's torque in check which is something I can't say the OE fitment Pirellis (P Zero Rosso I think) or the Bridgestone RE 050.

I've always found the original Continental Sports Contact to be very good in all conditions as well also it's a supple tyre but still manages to give a lot of feed back. They wear quickly but are one of the few tyres I'm willing to go wide on light cars with. Toyo TR-1s I've also found to work well in adverse conditions & again are a supple tyre, though they don't give as much feed back as the Ultrac Sessanta or Sports Contact. All 3 of the tyres I mention break away progressively if you do gently wander over the limit of grip rather than suddenly snap, obviously if you throw the car through the limit of grip they will just suddenly let go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Don't use Quick Fit or Charlie Brown's, unless you want to be going back the next week with a complaint about balance or something. Use a small local tyre firm, I use Ainsworth Tyres in Radcliffe, Manchester and they're the only ones I know who ever get the balancing right first time. Small garage run by two brothers.

All together now: "You can't get thicker than a Quick-Fit fitter...."

bauldbairn

Well if we're turning this into a my tyres are better then your tyres thread? ;)

.......then I'd like to recommend Dunlop SP9000's a high end wet weather tyre from Japan. They have a complex compound that produce's a confidence inspiring grip in all conditions. Anti-hydroplaning(HyroMax) tread design and DSST run flat technology. Available from a local(indie) dealer near you from £85 - £180 so shop around. Fitted as standard to some perfomance Audi's and BMW's, happily fitted to my Type R since the original Bridgestones expired. :biggrin:

Mr Pig

GrasB said:
All 3 of the tyres I mention break away progressively if you do gently wander over the limit of grip rather than suddenly snap.

In my opinion most people underestimate how important this is. I also think that too many people assume that the tyres that came fitted to the car are the best tyres for it. That's not the case at all. Price, availability, national loyalty all play a far bigger part in which tyres get fitted in the factory than performance.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

It's alright folks, I wasn't planning on going to kwicky fitty!

I also certainly understand that the cheapest tyres are not the safest. I thought I hinted at that in my OP.

I checked back at the quote from the dealer and it was £275, which is why at the time I thought it was steep.

Oh and the tyres are 215/55 R 16.;)

Top Bottom