Car usage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedallingpasty

Apologies if this topic has been already raised. Did a quick search and nothing found.
Just wish to raise the question on how cycling has effected your car usage and your views on them, especially from the long term cyclists.
Personnally i have been enjoying driving less and less over the last few years, i am getting really wound up about it sometimes. Not a very pretty sight. I am involved in another hobby that involves driving quite long distances for comps, mainly on sundays. Leave really early in the morning was ok. But the drives back could take up to twice as long, thinking what i could be doing if i wasn't sat in another traffic jam on motorway.
Just started commuting by bike again and found i have used my car once in 7 days. I am now even prefer to walk to supermarket to get food etc.
Trouble is i have a bit of confused point if view on this, because my commute is to a car factory !!!
So obviously everyone giving up driving will have me out of a job.

darkstar

This will be a great opportunity for the usuals to bark on about they have not set foot in an evil car for so many years and anyone who has should be shot...:thumbsdown:

I cycle purely for fitness and enjoyment, use the car more though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I don't have to use a car for work. Mostly I get the bus, but sometimes i commute by bike (17 miles each way)... have done the cycle commute about 15 times since Jan.

mark barker

I've not owned a road car for 18months or so, purely because I don't need one. Occasionally I'll hire one if I'm heading long distance with the kids, but thats not very often.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Down to one car from two due to commuting every day on the bike but it is used to ferry the kids and do the "big shop" plus now i have the cycle racks i can get me and the family to some trails now.Will not get rid of it though as it is useful.

gavintc

Guru
We have a car and a scooter. Since moving to Italy, we have definitely increased our car usage mainly because we live so far from all the major shops. But commuting by bike 3-4 times a week does reduce my miles a little and we try to take the scooter when we can - mainly because it so much quicker in heavy traffic.

Drove 40 miles last week to go cycling there!

I work from home now so do not have the commute. Sometimes need to pop out to see people with work and take the car as need to be smart and not hot and sweaty.

Food shopping - it arrives at the door.

Ferrying kids around - endless.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Since I drop the kids off at school on the way to work, then my wife has to do the morning school run instead if I commute on my bike.

Also, I sometimes put the bikes on the rack and drive off to find an off-road route for the day.

So if anything, my cycling increases my car usage slightly.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I rarely see any conflict between the two - There are things I use the car for and things I use the bike for, there is rarely ever a choice to be made...

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I am a supply teacher who covers schools from Coventry to Derby to Nottingham to Melton Mowbray. I might get a call at 7:30 to go to Coventry one day Leicester the next. I recently spent a few months working in one school but never plucked up the courage to bike commute. Our village had the bus service taken away by Arriva so neither my girlfriend or me could use the bus to get to work if we wanted. So car use, as per usual.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I have no problems with using my car or my bike and don't see any conflict between the two modes of transport.

If I were to commute to work by bike, they'd have to relocate the workplace to be closer to my home - I simply don't have the spare time to give up to 30 miles of commuting nor the financial resources or desire to move house or job.

Converts to carless and nearly carless lives hats off to you. You have a lifestyle that I do not aspire to and you need to recognise that it's a personal choice that is shared by a minority of fellow evangelical cyclists.

Perhaps car-less/nearly car-less cyclists need their own forum?

I couldn't care less. :biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
vernon said:
I have no problems with using my car or my bike and don't see any conflict between the two modes of transport.

If I were to commute to work by bike, they'd have to relocate the workplace to be closer to my home - I simply don't have the spare time to give up to 30 miles of commuting nor the financial resources or desire to move house or job.

Converts to carless and nearly carless lives hats off to you. You have a lifestyle that I do not aspire to and you need to recognise that it's a personal choice that is shared by a minority of fellow evangelical cyclists.

Perhaps car-less/nearly car-less cyclists need their own forum?

I couldn't care less. :biggrin:

Why? I fear you've set up a bit of a straw man here, the OP didn't ask whether people had completely given up car use, nor suggest that they should. He merely asked how cycling had "effected" car use... And we have answered. Who is being evangelical?

Ceedee

I ride to work every day and back. My daughter has taken my car after passing her test. I work about 50 yards from my wife and sometimes pass her on my bike as she is standing in traffic on the way home. I would rather ride to work than drive, I just hate traffic jams!

Top Bottom