Car vs bike arguments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

You have to put the hours in AND read cyclecraft, ideally :blush:

Thing is, theres a tiny increase in risk associated with being a cyclist. But all you have to do is point at your arse and legs, and that demonstrates why its better being a cyclist than being a motorist. We're fitter, we get more excercise, and the entire lower part of our body is better developed than those of motorists (and I'll wager most of us have better upper bodies than your typical sedentary motorist).

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm not sure I'd agree with that entirely. Like most things in life, there's both theory and experience elements. You'll only be really good when you have a good grasp of both.

I guess I'm saying that just experience on its own isn't enough, you need the theory element from something like cyclecraft as well. It's also good to get an expert to video and comment on you, because that is an excellent way to work on both aspects whilst making sure you're doing "it" right. Most peoples' self-image is astoundingly distorted, and we often don't know what we're doing wrong until someone tells and or shows us.

I wouldn't have a job as a skating instructor if this wasn't true!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Sorry. I should have written 'you can't do that by JUST reading cyclecraft', cos that's what I meant......

bonj2

I think some people just aren't confident or used to cycling on the road. a mate i know and go off-road riding with is a much better rider than me, he's fitter and more skilfull, and can do much better tricks than I can, but he's useless on the road - his default position is on the pavement and only goes on the road to avoid peds, but then goes back on the pavement again when there's a car coming, despite the fact there's way more than enough room...he basically just doesn't anticipate what cars are going to do, which makes me realise it is something you take for granted after a bit.
So I think we should realise that while we might think it's easy, it does tend to become a bit of an inbuilt, subconscious skill. But, that said, there's no excuse for people not to learn it.

gambatte said:
I reckon most people are too scared to ride on the road because of the attitude/skill level of a proportion of car/van drivers.
:ohmy::blush::biggrin::ohmy:! what are you trying to say :eek:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
It helps if you can drive too, and drive a lott, cos you know much better what cars are likely to do.......

Top Bottom