Caravan - yes/no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to have camping holidays in France. Cheap as chips for a pitch and usually great sites. We got the shock our lives the first time we took the ferry from Southampton, our pitch in England, two nights, one before the ferry out and the other after coming home, cost us more than double the amount we'd paid for the 12 nights we had touring in France. Before that we'd gone from Dover and our first and last nights had been in France. Add to that the site in England wasn't up to much. As has been said earlier in thread, cheap hotels are a valid economic alternative.

screenman

Legendary Member
From the age of 10 our son slept in a pup tent whilst we slept in the caravan, rain, snow and most other types of weather he was happy outside.

Brads

Just had my 6k caravan at Innerliethen for 8 out of the last 10 weeks and am heading back on Friday.

Have ridden all summer with my grandson and had a "holiday" every weekend and most weeks.

Love mine and would definitely buy another.
Towing is simple and most sites are about £25 a night.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just had my 6k caravan at Innerliethen for 8 out of the last 10 weeks and am heading back on Friday.

Have ridden all summer with my grandson and had a "holiday" every weekend and most weeks.

Love mine and would definitely buy another.
Towing is simple and most sites are about £25 a night.
I think the trick with these 'investments' is that you have to use them.
A young family I know with a Caravan are off with their kids in it almost every weekend, every half term, school hols (she works part-time) and hubby abandons them during the week sometimes to go back to work. They certainly get the value out of it.
Same with our recent Moho change, not only is it cheaper but we will use it waaay more often. Also the dog doesn't do so well in hotels either.

Hotels are fine and dandy but I do that all week (usually), just prefer the freedom and spontaneity of camping and some of the lovely peaceful places it can take you.

Anything older than 10 years old check that the mastic which seals the roof lights to the shell hasn't dried out, because it'll let water in to trickle down inside the roof and rot all the timbers in the roof, the walls and the floor. Ask me how I know.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We have had a caravans for 15yrs now, last 3yrs we were doing different holidays and to be honest found the layout of the van we had just not compatible as our three boys grew ! Now that its just the youngest that comes with us most of the time, we bought a new twin axle fixed bed caravan. We keep it in storage ( not allowed a van permanently at the house ), its also a campsite as well, so we usually just book in and they bring out for us.

I did doubt whether buying another was the right thing but with Covid its been blessing. We like Cruise holidays but that is off the cards for the foreseeable so this will be our main thing. If buying second hand make sure you get checked for damp. Its a big investment but we love it. I think for kids its the best thing, ours loved it when they were young.

I get that folk find them annoying on the road but I try and be responsible , let people pass etc. Its funny we ended up with our first van after 2 weeks holidaying in Ireland where all it did was rain :laugh:. There we were sat in our tent next to this van, that a couple had bought and done up. They were watching TV in the dry we were flicking slugs of the tent :laugh::laugh: .

Also factor in service costs and tyres etc, campsite prices can vary and some sites just take the pee. We need to try out the listed sites from CAMC as they can work out very cheap as we just need a leccy hook up and access to water. We use everything in the van these days ( shower ,toilet etc )

I'm now 77 and have camped off and on since I was 12. I love the sense of sleeping outdoors a tent gives you but holidays nowadays are mainly Airbnb.
A good friend also started with a tent then a trailer tent followed by a caravan then a camper van. He has now gone back to a small tent but never cooks, just uses it for sleeping.
I've thought of buying a caravan but for me there are too many minuses compared to cheap accommodation.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Our old-normal year typically consisted of two weeks abroad in the sun, a couple of week-long breaks in the UK in some kind of lodge and in-fill camping here and there. I'm working on the basis that the foreign holidays are out now so we'll be looking to go away in the UK more. Tenting is all well and good and we generally enjoy the 'outdoor' experience, but when the weather goes off it can be testing and we enviously regard the caravans on site. Cottages etc are likely to become more popular, hence less available and/or more expensive, plus they are virus-ridden transmission zones (maybe). I'm thinking that a caravan can replace all of the various holidays we used to have - a long break away somewhere more distant and then short breaks here and there over half-terms and weekends.

I am assuming, but will need to research, that availability will be easier than for bricks-and-mortar accommodation - specifically because we need x number of beds, which if we have a 'van we know we have so just need the site and services. Plus we would be in direct control of the cleanliness and sanitisation of a 'van and its contents. Plus I like the idea of another 'thing' to tinker with.

I've eyeballed the drive and I think we could arrange parking in such a way as to maintain access to the house and garden without blocking the front room window.

On the question of damp - I have a moisture meter that I use for logs for the wood-burning stove, plus it can do wall dampness - would this be OK for checking out a 'van? I assume that anything other than 'dry' would be an issue?

Servicing - I guess brakes, tyres, wheels etc, electric checks, gas systems - anything specifically involving and expensive? When they are laid up, do you keep them plugged in to maintain the leisure battery? Can a solar panel deal with this?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Don’t get me started on teenagers, got two. The 19yr olds like f...n toddler at times :laugh:. Funny my oldest never gave me much bother as a teenager, he’s now 22. The youngest now 14 is more mature roflol .

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Our old-normal year typically consisted of two weeks abroad in the sun, a couple of week-long breaks in the UK in some kind of lodge and in-fill camping here and there. I'm working on the basis that the foreign holidays are out now so we'll be looking to go away in the UK more. Tenting is all well and good and we generally enjoy the 'outdoor' experience, but when the weather goes off it can be testing and we enviously regard the caravans on site. Cottages etc are likely to become more popular, hence less available and/or more expensive, plus they are virus-ridden transmission zones (maybe). I'm thinking that a caravan can replace all of the various holidays we used to have - a long break away somewhere more distant and then short breaks here and there over half-terms and weekends.

I am assuming, but will need to research, that availability will be easier than for bricks-and-mortar accommodation - specifically because we need x number of beds, which if we have a 'van we know we have so just need the site and services. Plus we would be in direct control of the cleanliness and sanitisation of a 'van and its contents. Plus I like the idea of another 'thing' to tinker with.

I've eyeballed the drive and I think we could arrange parking in such a way as to maintain access to the house and garden without blocking the front room window.

On the question of damp - I have a moisture meter that I use for logs for the wood-burning stove, plus it can do wall dampness - would this be OK for checking out a 'van? I assume that anything other than 'dry' would be an issue?

Servicing - I guess brakes, tyres, wheels etc, electric checks, gas systems - anything specifically involving and expensive? When they are laid up, do you keep them plugged in to maintain the leisure battery? Can a solar panel deal with this?
Factor in a couple of hundred quid for servicing, also you will want insurance in case it gets nicked or have an accident. I’ve got a solar panel on mine but does diddly squat in winter due to where it’s stored and the fact we live in the frozen north! ! However it does trickle charge the batter I spring summer. 548848

If storing on the drive you could leave it plugged in , even if just to leave a small heater on low. Keep moisture at bay. A 10yr old van should be fairly decent if looked after. Probably safer buying from a dealer at least some comeback if problems.

We started in tents and only progressed to a "tin tent" when the children were toddlers and things became more challenging in managing young children in a classic tent, we had our first and only tin tent for 7 yrs. We've since been lucky enough to get a camper and have now had 8 years in that (first van 1 yr then 7yrs in the 2nd one). Our children have loved camping over the years, just being outside and enjoying what's out there and exploring new places. We typically camp around 30-35 nights a year with many long weekends and an odd week here and there, next will be a long weekend at the half term break in mid October.

I would certainly go for it and see how you all get on with it, if it's not for you then you can always sell it and loose a few bob but you'll have at least tried it. Once Europe opens up again then you can get over to France and explore some amazing cycling and some wonderful holiday opportunities.

Be warned camping can be quite addictive and does become a way of life. Our van is packed and ready to go so we can hop off for the weekend and get some air, some times a change is as good as a rest as they say:okay:

Top Bottom