Caravan - yes/no?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
We used to go to Rosemarkie regularly with no problems but I have been unable to book even in October. Not been there for about 4 years now as site is constantly full but I only try to book about a week ahead due to uncertainty of timing. I usually just use Dingwall now as the Fortrose council site is far too expensive for one person. Even Dingwall is getting difficult due to NC500.
I prefer cycling from Rosemarkie tho' despite the climb out.
This year we’ve found club sites difficult to book a full week or more at. It seems the weekends are full especially Saturday nights. Arriving Sunday and leaving Saturday has had to be our pattern this year.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
We used to go to Rosemarkie regularly with no problems but I have been unable to book even in October. Not been there for about 4 years now as site is constantly full but I only try to book about a week ahead due to uncertainty of timing. I usually just use Dingwall now as the Fortrose council site is far too expensive for one person. Even Dingwall is getting difficult due to NC500.
I prefer cycling from Rosemarkie tho' despite the climb out.
Dingwall was the site we always went too , handy for train to Kyle or Inverness. Rosemarkie was quite spendy and that was for just two adults and young teen. However it was cracking site . Be sure to book early for next year.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dingwall was the site we always went too , handy for train to Kyle or Inverness. Rosemarkie was quite spendy and that was for just two adults and young teen. However it was cracking site . Be sure to book early for next year.
If going to Kyle make sure there are no bus parties taking the train for that section from Inverness. We were taken aback to find only two empty separate seats and no view on a trip to Kyle. Nice pub on the platform at Dingwall tho'.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This year we’ve found club sites difficult to book a full week or more at. It seems the weekends are full especially Saturday nights. Arriving Sunday and leaving Saturday has had to be our pattern this year.
We used to go to Melrose even before it was taken over by the Caravan and Motorhome Club. Now every summer weekend is block booked by people from probably Edinburgh. We were told by the warden it was causing a lot of discontent as you could only stay Monday to Thursday.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
One thing worse than a caravan being towed on the road* is a mobile home towing a car. I don't see the point in that one.

*I'm not a fan, see my earlier post.
A friend who used to winter in Spain or Portugal told me that many with very large motorhomes were afraid to leave the sites because of difficulty driving anywhere except a motorway. Hence the reason for a small car towed behind.

lane

Veteran
Be aware of total cost of ownership. Storage if you need it, insurance, servicing, repairs, new tyres every 5 years. Good campsites cost a lot during school holidays. Also they take up some time just generally looking after them. Storage on your drive is free but theft is an issue. If you need storage, plus servicing, plus insurance you can be looking at a grand a year before you go anywhere. If you go on ferries you pay a lot more than a for just a car.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Be aware of total cost of ownership. Storage if you need it, insurance, servicing, repairs, new tyres every 5 years. Good campsites cost a lot during school holidays. Also they take up some time just generally looking after them. Storage on your drive is free but theft is an issue. If you need storage, plus servicing, plus insurance you can be looking at a grand a year before you go anywhere. If you go on ferries you pay a lot more than a for just a car.
Yep I’m probably not far off £800 a year storage insurance and servicing. This year a bit more abs next year I’ll need to factor in 4 new tyres as they are cracking and still got loads of tread !
But price up a couple of holidays abroad every year and caravanning is well cheaper !

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I reckon I can store it at home. I’ve done a quote for insurance that wasn’t too bad.

As said above, this wasn’t really a cost-saving exercise, more the ability to holiday in the UK in some degree of comfort using all my own stuff. An upgrade from camping that will also replace fly-away holidays.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I reckon I can store it at home. I’ve done a quote for insurance that wasn’t too bad.

As said above, this wasn’t really a cost-saving exercise, more the ability to holiday in the UK in some degree of comfort using all my own stuff. An upgrade from camping that will also replace fly-away holidays.
Sounds perfect to me!

Top Bottom