Carbon and Aluminium bikes of the same weight. Any difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And don't forget titanium :whistle:

I have a titanium watch :rolleyes: but I've never ridden a Ti bike. A friend had one and I know he loved it. Titanium is one of the four metals in my Fuji Alloy but I don't know at what %. What % titanium in an alloy is considered to be a Ti Bike.

My work uses a lot of titanium. Amazingly strong and light but it is difficult to produce and work with which is where a lot of the expense comes from. It is in fact one of the most abundant elements in the earth's crust.

snailracer

Über Member
Carbon seat posts often do feel more comfy than those made from other materials because they usually have no setback - there is conseqently more saddle rail between the clamp and the rear of the saddle (for the same fit) which can flex more over bumps. Including setback adds more weight to the seatpost - and the main selling point of carbon seatposts is that they are lighter. Of course, you would need to find a saddle with long enough rails to get the same fit.

Did you find out whether it was the Cinelli label or the carbon visual appeal that made it more comfortable? :whistle:

According to my estimation, people who can feel the difference between their carbon and alloy seatposts should invest in some expensive silk underpants, if they aren't wearing them already. :becool:

LOL.

Whatever the science behind it. The cinelli RAM I replaced my original Ritchey WCS with reduced the amount of numbness I was experiencing. If it was a placebo effect it certainly worked. I then swapped the Fuji saddle for a Selle Italia SLR. This reduced it further still.

Maybe I could have swapped the Ritchey for another Aluminium and got a different feel. I don't know cause I was happy witht the result from the Cinelli, so kept it.

OP
OP
G

Gbola

I have followed your advice and got 2011 specialized SL3 Tarmac elite. Loving it so far. More comfortable and climbing hill with more ease. I hope this ends my bikes' collection mania

No matter the case I have just the group of people who agrees
Fair enoughski and good luck what ever you choose.
I guess what you're used to plays a large part. I've had three cf road bikes, yet tbh I can ride my alu road bike faster and farther than I ever could any of my cf bikes as it's simply more comfortable to ride IMO & IME :thumbsup:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I have a titanium watch :rolleyes: but I've never ridden a Ti bike. A friend had one and I know he loved it. Titanium is one of the four metals in my Fuji Alloy but I don't know at what %. What % titanium in an alloy is considered to be a Ti Bike.

My work uses a lot of titanium. Amazingly strong and light but it is difficult to produce and work with which is where a lot of the expense comes from. It is in fact one of the most abundant elements in the earth's crust.

But is complicated and costly to extract which is where the rest of the expense comes from I imagine.

But is complicated and costly to extract which is where the rest of the expense comes from I imagine.

Yeah, that was the point I was making. In the sentence prior to the one you highlighted. If they ever come up with a cheaper way of making it, it would be a cracking low cost alternative.

Top Bottom