Carbon bars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hi.

Im thinking of adding a set of carbon bars to my hybrid....my pal who is a mountainbiker reckons that they are incredibly dangerous and are laible to snap!

I only intend to use them for road/towpath riding but im worried about buying a set now!

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I've used Carbon bars on my MTB for years and i'm still alive!!

This thread could get very long, but before it does, Carbon bars will be fine, and you should get some.

OP
OP

Cool! Thanks....I really do want some but my pal put me off a bit!

Is there anything I should be aware of when fitting them?

llllllll

I've never quite understood carbon bars, they save very little weight over a good Aluminium bar, cost upwards of twice the amount and if you crash you've got to replace them. What is it that makes you want carbon?

Having said that I've got a carbon set on my TT bike.

Anyway back to your question. Check your stem hasn't got any sharp edges around the clamp and file them smooth before installing. Be very careful not to overtighten the clamp, Carbon isn't good at being crushed. Other than that it should be fine, some people use an assembly paste, but I've never found it necessary. Just don't crash.

buddha

Veteran
Ditto what Mr Austin said.

Also, I'm told they're meant to reduce trail buzz. That's why I got some anyway.

OP
OP

Well after having a few quid to burn I just bought some Carbon Ritchey WCS bars so ill let you know how I get on!

Thanks for the advice :blush:

Destry

Carbon bars are safe, and they do reduce trail buzz -- quite a lot actually, so well worth having if you don't use a suspension fork. I must admit I haven't got around to putting them under the crown jewels yet, but it can only be a matter of time...

Tom

Top Bottom