Carbon bits n' bobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Have a carbon bike. Have a carbon seatpost. While footering about on the Interweb came across a Ritchey document relating to their carbon seatposts. It stated in it "we recommend replacing your post every 3 years even if it appears undamaged " .... WTF ! Do these people want us to buy their products or not. Obviously a seatpost is under a lot of stress BUT so is the frame. Should I replace it every 3 years or so ?? Kinda makes worryworts like me a bit anxious !

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Carbon is kind of like nuclear matter, as it has a half life. Over time it degrades.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's why I stick with aluminium.

I have a carbon post on my winter bike, but that's got a horizontal frame and there isn't much sticking up above the tube so there is less strain on it. I also find that carbon posts creak and click like crazy if a lot is exposed above the tube. I do have carbon forks on both bikes and seatstays on one, but they seem to be built with thicker walls.

I think you'll find that makers of aluminium alloy handlebars will also recommend replacement every five years, or so. It's just to cover their backsides when you sue them after a potential breakage. Car airbag operating systems ought to be replaced every ten years - who will spend that kind of money on an old car? I'd just get on and use the seat post.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
It is a very curious thing that is you search for information about the life span of carbon fibre, it is only when it is used for bicycles that it is considered to be fragile or have a short lifespan? Not only that, there is also often a strong smell of BS from the pages discussing it...

Apparently back in the 1980's when carbon fibre was new there were some problems as people leaned how to use the new material, i.e. jet engine fan blades shattering on bird strike, but over time people leaned to use it safely. Remember this is a material which does not stress fatigue like metal. I do know someone who is still riding a carbon fibre mountain bike built in the 1990's...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1498394 said:
Even though aluminium has well established fatigue fracture properties?
I have no idea of how long aluminium will survive compared to carbon or any other material, but I've been using alu components for nearly half a century without issues so I am comfortable with it.

As my Scandium frame is as light as most carbon frames anyway I'm losing nothing. And my alloy seatpost doesn't creak!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
And I'm riding down hills at over 50 mph on an old steel bike, with alloy bars ! Should have rusted away or snapped by now Yeh. Buy good stuff, it's fine.

Like anything, look after it, it will look after you. Now't wrong with carbon.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
1498397 said:
I am comfortable with aluminium alloy bars, stems, seatposts, cranks, and chainrings. I would be wary of aluminium forks more than a couple of years old.
Alan or Vitus frames never seemed to have issues with aluminium forks, nor did the likes of Cannondale when alu took over from steel and carbon forks were expensive and only on high end bikes. Provided the integrity of the material isn't compromised by poor design I couldn't see it being an issue, after all no component on a bike can suffer more stress than a brake caliper and I've never heard of one breaking.

lukesdad

1498397 said:
I am comfortable with aluminium alloy bars, stems, seatposts, cranks, and chainrings. I would be wary of aluminium forks more than a couple of years old.

Ali Rims ? I d be more concerned about rims in a front end impact than ali forks.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Gawd, .... I`ve opened up a can of worms here ( again ! ).
PS Anyone recommend a good chain lube ? ... Please don`t reply to that one !

Think I very much agree with the comment about suppliers covering their asses in the event of litigation.

Top Bottom