Carbon definitely faster than steel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought a carbon gravel bike a couple of months ago, a Genesis Datum, because I had read good reviews of it, and I had really enjoyed riding my Genesis Eqilibrium. Since then I have only ridden the Datum, but this morning I rode the Equilibrium for the usual 25 mile loop that I have been using as my exercise throughout the lockdown.

I was absolutely amazed at how much faster, not just uphill but on the flat, and amazingly, downhill, the Datum was. It is a bit lighter than the steel Equilibrium, and has 32mm tyres not 28, so i thought there should not be much difference, but at the end of the ride, which took a lot longer than normal, I was much more knackered than I usually am.

I had read, sceptically, about the benefits of carbon over steel and alloy but am now a convert......or at least I was until I was putting the Genesis back in the shed.

In the two months not used the rear brake caliper must have had a bit of a knock in the shed and was off-centre.

I have just ridden 25 miles with one brake block rubbing on the rear wheel. :cursing:

Idiot doesn't come close to describing it.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I bought a carbon gravel bike a couple of months ago, a Genesis Datum, because I had read good reviews of it, and I had really enjoyed riding my Genesis Eqilibrium. Since then I have only ridden the Datum, but this morning I rode the Equilibrium for the usual 25 mile loop that I have been using as my exercise throughout the lockdown.

I was absolutely amazed at how much faster, not just uphill but on the flat, and amazingly, downhill, the Datum was. It is a bit lighter than the steel Equilibrium, and has 32mm tyres not 28, so i thought there should not be much difference, but at the end of the ride, which took a lot longer than normal, I was much more knackered than I usually am.

I had read, sceptically, about the benefits of carbon over steel and alloy but am now a convert......or at least I was until I was putting the Genesis back in the shed.

In the two months not used the rear brake caliper must have had a bit of a knock in the shed and was off-centre.

I have just ridden 25 miles with one brake block rubbing on the rear wheel. :cursing:

Where do i send the invoice for a new laptop? I spat some tea out with your funny story.:laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My 2020 Roubaix is faster on the flat and downhill than my 2014 Roubaix. I think it's to do with stiffness and better aerodynamics. My BIL bought one and reckons it's taken 2 mph off his average old-skool steel bike speed

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

On Monday i investigated the knocking sound/feel coming from my rear wheel, only to discover that the rim has popped because one brake block has been rubbing on it for god knows how long :sad:

I know I've been a bit slack with my maintenance in the last year or two, and now I'm reaping the rewards. I never liked that wheel much anyway.

Slick

Guru

I have the exact same bikes and my Datum was bought much because of the same reason you quote, but I've probably found that much the opposite is true, certainly on shorter rides anyway. Another thing I found is that I really love my Equilibrium but I was having some disc brake and failing wheel issues and used my Datum for a while on the commute and when I went back to the Equilibrium, it didn't feel quite as comfortable as it once did, despite new brakes and hand built wheels. Nothing scientific but for some reason I would take the Datum first as long as I didn't have to carry anything ofcourse. :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I jumped on the turbo after having pre CV19 flu, felt terrible, watts were right down, HR up. At the end of the session, noticed the rear mud guard had been rubbing the tyre and partially melted. Wasn't quite as hard next time. :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm distinctly underwhelmed by carbon compared to my best alloy frames roadie. So much so that the carbon one is my winter bike, thenpolar opposite of perhaps every other cyclist in christendom?

I'm distinctly underwhelmed by carbon compared to my best alloy frames roadie. So much so that the carbon one is my winter bike, thenpolar opposite of perhaps every other cyclist in christendom?
Prefer carbon but have owned some cracking alu bikes, Ghost 4900 springs to mind, and 25 year old Cannondale is still going strong and was born in the USA, they knew how to throw bike tubes together :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Ha ha - I know how you feel... I once did a 200 km audax and struggled. I could not understand why I was riding so slowly but still getting so tired. I found out when I got to the finish in Halifax - I dismounted in a car park and went to roll the bike over to my mate's car and discovered that it needed a very firm push to get it moving. I must have knocked the rear brake calliper when putting the bike into the back of the car that morning. One brake block had gone from new to almost worn out in a single ride! :banghead:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rusty Nails

Rusty Nails

We remember
I have the exact same bikes and my Datum was bought much because of the same reason you quote, but I've probably found that much the opposite is true, certainly on shorter rides anyway. Another thing I found is that I really love my Equilibrium but I was having some disc brake and failing wheel issues and used my Datum for a while on the commute and when I went back to the Equilibrium, it didn't feel quite as comfortable as it once did, despite new brakes and hand built wheels. Nothing scientific but for some reason I would take the Datum first as long as I didn't have to carry anything ofcourse. :okay:

What tyres do you have on the Equilibrium?

I think that, although the Equilibrium is a comfortable bike on long rides, the 28mm GP 4 Seasons tyres at a higher pressure than the 32mm Gatorskins of the Datum certainly do give it a harsher ride on the tracks and poorly maintained roads.

I don't know if the larger, heavier tyres do slow down the Datum a bit.

Top Bottom