Carbon, discs, and aero?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do they take mudguards, essential for a commuter :okay:
They also appear to be over the typical £1k C2W limit, Halfords for example who sell Boardman won't let you spend over that limit. I don't know about Ribble (but they possibly add a C2W surcharge so do your research)

OP
OP
M

markc94

Do they take mudguards, essential for a commuter :okay:
They also appear to be over the typical £1k C2W limit, Halfords for example who sell Boardman won't let you spend over that limit. I don't know about Ribble (but they possibly add a C2W surcharge so do your research)

Was thinking of buying direct from their website or cycle Republic, both of which seem to allow me to go over the limit!

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the blue one :okay: but they're not really my thing and certainly not for all weather commuting!
I don't know where you live/work but make sure the bike is properly insured for full replacement value and you have good heavy D- locks to secure. You don't want to be paying off a bike you no longer own. I'd get accident insurance too in case you crash and total it

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Not sure why we keep hawking around the opinion that all commuter bikes must have mudguards......ive commuted for 7yrs and never once put a mudguard on any of my bikes. Let people ride what they want and stop hawking around that racks and guard are a must, cause they are just not.

vickster

Legendary Member
For me they are, I don't like turning up at work covered in crap, especially my shoes and jacket as I don't necessarily change those to go out for lunch etc. I also don't like having what's looks like a stripe of shoot up my back, or the stains on my clothing. I don't shower at work either so I like to be as clean as possible when arriving at the office. Nor have I ever had a place to store and dry filthy clothing
Ymmv :okay:

Last edited:

jowwy

For me they are, I don't like turning up at work covered in crap, especially my shoes and jacket as I don't necessarily change those to go out for lunch etc. I also don't like having what's looks like a stripe of shoot up my back, or the stains on my clothing. I don't shower at work either so I like to be as clean as possible when arriving at the office. Nor have I ever had a place to store and dry filthy clothing
Ymmv :okay:
If using a rack as you do, then you wouldn’t have shoot up your back as the rack would stop it happening. Also theres nothing wrong with commuting on carbon or aero, if thats what the OP wants............everyone has a different reason of why and what they commute on, just keep that in mind is all I’m saying.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’m not sure you can put a proper fixed rack safely on a carbon aero bike can you? :scratch: I never mentioned a rack :unsure:

vickster

Legendary Member
you need to read my above post again.........
so the OP needs to add a rack to his carbon bike and not a rear mudguard - front one needed to keep feet etc drier though :scratch:

Yes I use a rack to carry a bag/panniers, but I also like to have two mudguards, bike would look odd with just a front one....

jowwy

so the OP needs to add a rack to his carbon bike and not a rear mudguard - front one needed to keep feet etc drier though :scratch:

Yes I use a rack to carry a bag/panniers, but I also like to have two mudguards, bike would look odd with just a front one....
my post was about your bike and not the OP...........i didn't make any post or advise that his carbon bike needed a rack

vickster

Legendary Member
my post was about your bike and not the OP...........i didn't make any post or advise that his carbon bike needed a rack
I never mentioned my bike. The OP asked about a carbon aero one. I asked if it took mudguards...nothing about a rack

Maybe I don't want my rack and panniers covered in crap either - it's not a substitute for mudguards :rolleyes:

Top Bottom