Carbon dura ace

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Go to the Rose Bikes website and use their bike configourater.
You should be able to spec up a very nice bike for that money.
Full carbon with Ultegra Di2 for instance

+1 on the Canyon. Epic spec and it's discounted just now. You can also get the Aero CF with Ultegra Di2 for similar price. Also their Ultimate CF with Campag chorus groupo and Ksyrium Elite's for £2000+. For a bike that weighs around 6.80kgs it's value!

billy1561

BB wrecker
I paid £2250 for my cube agree gtc SL. Carbon with dura ace group and dt Swiss 2.0 wheels. Its a very nice bike. May be able to pick one up a bit cheaper in the sales if there are any left.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I paid £2250 for my cube agree gtc SL. Carbon with dura ace group and dt Swiss 2.0 wheels. Its a very nice bike. May be able to pick one up a bit cheaper in the sales if there are any left.

Yup, did look at that bike myself. Lovely bike. Great reviews too.
Which ever way you look at it... it's a bargain.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Get onto the Ribble site and have a play with the bike builder tool.
Personally, I'd go for Ultegra and spend the savings on a shoot-hot set of wheels instead, but for £2500 you cab get a very decent bike.
Sorry you've lost your grandad though.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Of course I'm not riding beyond 105's but I have about £2500 from an inheritance that must be spent on a bike and want the mutts for it. Any suggestions as the Internet is quoting over this for full carbon etc etc

Sorry but with 2.5k to burn you will simply not be in the mutts range. This is not to say that you will not be able to get a very nice bike but equally you must be realistic with your expectations.
My advise would be to get a nice bike such as the ones listed in this thread or a high end boardman.
You should also not limit your frame type to carbon as not all carbon fames are created equal. It must also be said other materials used for frames have a lot of virtue as well. It's just the marketing makes carbon kewl.
The most important thing to do is get a bike which you are comfortable on and feel good with, no matter how much you spend on a bike, if it does not suit its not a good buy.
Visit your local retailers and ask to have a look at bikes in your price range, if they are not going to help and spend time ensuring you get the bike which suits you then they are not worthy of your custom imho.

Sorry but with 2.5k to burn you will simply not be in the mutts range. This is not to say that you will not be able to get a very nice bike but equally you must be realistic with your expectations.
My advise would be to get a nice bike such as the ones listed in this thread or a high end boardman.
You should also not limit your frame type to carbon as not all carbon fames are created equal. It must also be said other materials used for frames have a lot of virtue as well. It's just the marketing makes carbon kewl.
The most important thing to do is get a bike which you are comfortable on and feel good with, no matter how much you spend on a bike, if it does not suit its not a good buy.
Visit your local retailers and ask to have a look at bikes in your price range, if they are not going to help and spend time ensuring you get the bike which suits you then they are not worthy of your custom imho.
Yeh some of the high end Boardman stuff is great value. Especially the AIR range.
I am not so sure about "the mutts" theory though. We could easily spend £6000 on an amazing piece of kit. If that bike is then considered the mutts, what does the guy have to say about that who is riding a £10,000 bike and so on and so forth.
I would suggest this makes one mans good bike another mans best bike.
"if they are not going to help and spend time ensuring you get the bike which suits you then they are not worthy of your custom imho" -couldn't agree more!! You tend to pay slightly more through your LBS but in many ways (not least fitting service) they are invaluable when it comes to advice on how to spend your £££.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
to clarify what I mean regarding mutts components, lets take my Venge for example. This came with a S-Works Stem in forged 7050 alloy with carbon wrap top cap and front cap with titanium bolts and alloy shim. This is a great stem its strong, stiff and functional however this was replaced with a Zipp SL145 which is the stiffest and strongest full carbon stem on the market, its not a wrap or reinforced with alloy, its also exceptionally light and features the same titanium bolts used by the Ducati MotoGP team. This is a mutts component. It could even be said that it is beautiful to look at, slightly exotic and different due to the price.
The origional stem on my Venge was great, there was no actual need to replace it. I am unable to tell the difference however my LBS really like it, as they do all my upgrades.
Yes I have mutts components, but that does not make my bike better than yours. It simply proves I am a little more stupid at best and not much more.
Mutts components imho are ones which look better on paper than reality of ownership, they offer very little VFM, which is fine if you understand this and have the appropiate budget.

ps... hope I have not come across as a twat, I really could not care what people ride however not everyone is in the same financial position. The OP should appreciate that there are many great bikes available and being carbon and featuring Dura-Ace or having mutts components is not a requirement for a great bike which is a joy to ride.

to clarify what I mean regarding mutts components, lets take my Venge for example. This came with a S-Works Stem in forged 7050 alloy with carbon wrap top cap and front cap with titanium bolts and alloy shim. This is a great stem its strong, stiff and functional however this was replaced with a Zipp SL145 which is the stiffest and strongest full carbon stem on the market, its not a wrap or reinforced with alloy, its also exceptionally light and features the same titanium bolts used by the Ducati MotoGP team. This is a mutts component. It could even be said that it is beautiful to look at, slightly exotic and different due to the price.
The origional stem on my Venge was great, there was no actual need to replace it. I am unable to tell the difference however my LBS really like it, as they do all my upgrades.
Yes I have mutts components, but that does not make my bike better than yours. It simply proves I am a little more stupid at best and not much more.
Mutts components imho are ones which look better on paper than reality of ownership, they offer very little VFM, which is fine if you understand this and have the appropiate budget.

ps... hope I have not come across as a twat, I really could not care what people ride however not everyone is in the same financial position. The OP should appreciate that there are many great bikes available and being carbon and featuring Dura-Ace or having mutts components is not a requirement for a great bike which is a joy to ride.

Not at all. I would never suggest anyone is a twat for giving their advice. Good advice too IMO.
Especially the idea that people mostly buy their gear based on what they are told is the next best thing by bike mags and manufacturers. You are always going to get more of an honest answer on a forum or two regarding high end gear vs more affordable products. There are many many options for buying a top product, or even an average one, and sometimes it can be tricky to see through the BS spouted by the "hyped products".
I would suggest most of it comes from how the bike looks and feels rather than performs. Performance lends itself to racing. To the average road rider there is likely no need to kit the bike out with the "mutts". I personally can't see the weight benefits balancing out the cost at all.
To the OP Ultegra might be half the price of Dura ace and to what real noticable difference in looks-feel-performance? Just a suggestion but there are some fantastic Ultegra Di2 options out there from Canyon, rose etc etc and even the new cannondale 2013 bikes look to all have Di2.
End of the day though if it is for your pure pleasure of riding your bike then buy exactly what you think is the best. Whatever catches your eye and feels right to you. ^_^

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I had a look around and by god, actually finding a lbs with a cube road bike in Stock is a nightmare, it seems from what I'm told there are issues getting enough made and shipped out by cube

I was in the market for a new Sunday best after having to sell the madone owing to the fact it was just too small, really wanted an agree, ended up with a self build project "bob"] :biggrin:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom