Carbon fibre frame lifespan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If you crash hard enough *any* frame can suffer damage such that it's beyond economical repair. I've got frames made of steel, carbon, aluminium, titanium and magnesium, and I'd cheerfully commute on any of them.
At work I test carbon structures that are designed to last 15 years or more, after suffering a 4g launch. You'll have no problems with a bike, whatever it's made of.

Coco

TheDoctor said:
At work I test carbon structures that are designed to last 15 years or more, after suffering a 4g launch. You'll have no problems with a bike, whatever it's made of.

OT, but what do you launch? 4g seems tame :biggrin:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
HJ said:
Why?

Steel work hardens over time (as do all metals), I have snapped a steel frame which I used on a daily basis for six years. Carbon fibre on the other hand does not work harden and remains plastic, there is no reason why it shouldn't last.

Hmm, steel doesn't work harden unless pushed beyond yield.

The truth is that all materials fail in fatigue - its just that some are better at resisting it than others. Steel isn't bad, aluminium isn't so good, particularly when welded. Don't have any experience of Carbon Fibre, but the fibre and substrate nature of it means that fatigue cracks have a difficulty progressing. (See laminated windscreens)

gutbucket

I used to buy aircraft for BA. Boeing, Airbus & the military increasingly use composites in aircraft manufacture & lifespan looks to be a non issue. Repair is of course another matter....

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to move to the test phase of my search and I can see no reason to exclude carbon frames - providing they come with a decent warranty.

GrasB

Veteran
I know this is an oldish post but ...
Van Nick said:
Have you seen the Busted Carbon website ? - http://www.bustedcarbon.com
... I'll rase you Cav's front wheel:
219aope.jpg

Yes the wheel is folded along the road & springs back, from high-res photos you can see scuff marks on the wheel where it scraped along the ground.

Chrisz

Über Member
Can't see any carbon frames smashing into pieces in any of the pics of the crash - more robust than some give them credit for?

Howard

Chrisz said:
Can't see any carbon frames smashing into pieces in any of the pics of the crash - more robust than some give them credit for?

Maybe, or just cracks / fractures that you can't see. Not that it's really relevant - I wouldn't expect and alu frame to survive that kind of mayhem either!

shrew

personally im going with Ti for a few reasons

1. its less likely to get damaged and if it does, your more likely to notice it, i know of people that have ridden CF frames and havnt realised they have a crack in it.

2. i can ride it all year round with no worries about corrosion etc.

3. Van Nicholas Ti bikes come with a lifetime warrenty and if you crash it and cant repair they will give you a new frame for half price, not sure about other Ti Brands )

just my 2p worth )

andrew_s

Legendary Member
As I understand it...

If you don't damage it, a carbon bike frame (or other component) will last more or less indefinitely.
If it is damaged, it can fail suddenly and completely.
If you do damage it, there's no point in asking whether the damage will result in failure because nobody knows, or can tell without expensive or destructive testing.
You can damage it without being aware of having done so.

With steel frames, you can see dents, and if there is a fatigue crack the chances of it failing completely or suddenly are fairly low

Top Bottom